Finding the Area of a polygon

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula for the area of a regular polygon with a side "a". The correct formula is A_n =\frac{na^2}{4 \tan{\frac{180}{n}}}r^2 = r^2 + a^2 - 2ra \sin{\frac{180}{n}} and the conversation also discusses using the trigonometric identity \sin(2x) = 2 \sin(x) \cos(x) for a more similar form of the answer. The use of trigonometric identities is not necessary and the same answer can be achieved without them.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
Hi, I am to find a formula for the area of a regular polygon with a side "a".

I just keep getting the wrong answer: this is how i did it:

if we draw a circle in a coordinate system, with radius "r". The diameter lyes on the x-axis. I draw an angle from the center. This angle is then 360/n where n is the amount of sides the polygon can have.

The two other angles in the triangle we get with two sides "r" and one side "a" is 180/n.

Ok, to find the side r expressed with a:

[tex]r^2 = r^2 + a^2 2ra \cos{\frac{180}{n}}[/tex]

[tex]a = 2r \cos{\frac{180}{n}}[/tex]

[tex]r = \frac{a}{2 \cos{\frac{180}{n}}}[/tex]

The area of this triangle is:

[tex]A = \frac{1}{2} \sin{\frac{180}{n}} ar = \frac{1}{2} \sin{\frac{180}{n}} \frac{a}{2 \cos{\frac{180}{n}}} a = \frac{1}{4} \tan{\frac{180}{n}} a^2[/tex]

The area of the whole polygon will then be the area of the triangles in the circle. I multiply with the number I divided 360 with, "n".

So: [tex]A_n =\frac{n}{4} a^2 \tan{\frac{180}{n}} [/tex]

But this is wrong! Why is it wrong?

The correct answer is:
[tex]A_n =\frac{na^2}{4 \tan{\frac{180}{n}}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]r^2 = r^2 + a^2 - 2ra \cos{\frac{180}{n}}[/tex]

This is wrong. The angle is 90 - 180/n, hence giving [tex]r^2 = r^2 + a^2 - 2ra \sin{\frac{180}{n}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Jarle said:
Ok, to find the side r expressed with a:

[tex]r^2 = r^2 + a^2 2ra \cos{\frac{180}{n}}[/tex]

I've got no idea where that line came from but it looks wrong (edit: ok I now see it was supposed to be the cosine rule). You should have just used :

[tex] a/2 = r \sin(180/n)[/tex]

Which gives : [tex]r = \frac{a}{2 \sin(180/n)}[/tex]

Now just substitute that into :

[tex]A = n ( \frac{1}{2} r^2 \sin(360/n) )[/tex]

PS. Remember to use the trig identity : [tex]\sin(2x) = 2 \sin(x) \cos(x)[/tex] if you want to get your answer in exactly the same form as the one given.

Last edited:
Yes, it was the cosine rule I meant.

Hmm, that was wierd. We are not supposed to use trigonometric identities. Or at least the book doesn't mention any of it.

Well, uart expression is equivalent to [tex]A = n r^2 \sin(180/n)\cos(180/n) [/tex]

Last edited:
Hmm, that was wierd. We are not supposed to use trigonometric identities.

You can get a perfectly good (correct) answer without even using that last trig idenity, it just won't be in the exact same form as the one given. It will be 100% equivalent but just not an identical form.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a polygon?

The formula for finding the area of a polygon is A = (1/2) * P * h, where A is the area, P is the perimeter, and h is the height of the polygon.

2. How do I determine the perimeter of a polygon?

To determine the perimeter of a polygon, you need to add up the lengths of all the sides. If the polygon has equal sides, you can simply multiply the length of one side by the number of sides. If the polygon has different lengths for each side, you will need to measure and add up the individual lengths.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the area of any polygon?

No, the formula for finding the area of a polygon only applies to regular polygons where all sides are equal and all angles are equal. For irregular polygons, you will need to use different methods such as breaking the polygon into smaller shapes with known area formulas or using the shoelace formula.

4. What units should I use when finding the area of a polygon?

The units used for finding the area of a polygon will depend on the units used for the perimeter and height. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to get an accurate result. Common units used are square inches, square feet, square meters, etc.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the area of a polygon?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the area of a polygon as long as you have the necessary measurements (perimeter and height) and understand the formula for finding the area. Some calculators even have a specific function for calculating the area of a polygon.