A quick question on Irrational powers

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the conversation discusses the domain of the function f(x) = x^x, which is defined as {x E R, x > 0}U{xEZ,x<0}. The speaker initially reevaluates the function to e^(xlnx) but realizes it is not helpful. They then ask if there is an algorithm or formula for evaluating irrational powers. Another speaker points out that for negative irrationals, the expression x^x is ambiguous and can only be approximated. They suggest using e^{x ln(abs(x))} as an alternative but later rescind that statement. The conversation ends with the first speaker still looking for a technique to evaluate powers and prove that irrational numbers below zero cannot be part
prasannapakkiam
I wish to prove that for f(x)=x^x, its domain is: {x E R, x > 0}U{xEZ,x<0}.
I reevaluated to e^(xlnx), obviously that did not help. Is there an algorithm/formula/something that can evaluate irrational powers, so that it can help me with this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From what I understand of your question, you are following a misleading path. The function x^x, when x < 0, is defined at every x = a/b (reduced fraction) such as that b is not an even number. About irrational numbers, the question is ambiguous. For the negative irrationals, what does the expression x^x even mean? For positive irrationals, x^x can be expressed as an infinite series and can be approximated. A negative irrational could be approximated as x = a/b with the condition that b is and odd number and hence we get an approximation of x^x, but it can also be approximated as a/b in which b is an even number and hence yield an imaginary approximation. I have to put much thinking into it, but from this my very quick assumption is that x^x for negative irrationals is an absurd expression.

:P I only just realized that I did not define b can be odd. Anyway I require a technique to evaluate powers so that I can personally show that irrational numbers below zero cannot be part of the domain of x^x.

Have you tried re-evaluating it to [itex]e^{x ln(abs(x))}[/itex]? It evaluates to the same thing, except of course that it has a "larger" domain than x^x.

Edit: Actually, I rescind this statement--it's not true. I think it might still be helpful for evaluating [itex]e^{x ln(x)}[/itex], though, so I'll leave it up.

Last edited:

1. What are irrational powers?

Irrational powers refer to powers or exponents that are not rational numbers, meaning they cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. They are typically represented by square roots or cube roots of non-perfect squares or cubes.

2. How do irrational powers differ from rational powers?

Irrational powers cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers, while rational powers can. For example, 23 is a rational power because it can be expressed as 8/1, while √2 is an irrational power because it cannot be expressed as a fraction.

3. What is the difference between an irrational power and an irrational number?

An irrational power refers to the exponent or power in a mathematical expression, while an irrational number refers to a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction. An irrational power can result in an irrational number, but not all irrational numbers are irrational powers.

4. How are irrational powers used in mathematics?

Irrational powers are used in various mathematical concepts, such as calculating the area or volume of shapes, solving equations, and representing real-world phenomena. They are also essential in understanding and working with irrational numbers, which are commonly encountered in mathematics.

5. Can irrational powers be simplified?

Yes, irrational powers can be simplified by finding the closest rational approximation or using mathematical techniques such as logarithms. However, they cannot be simplified to a rational number because they, by definition, cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers.