Maximum amplitude of oscillation of a block

In summary, the problem involves a large block with a mass of 26 kg and a smaller block with a mass of 9 kg on top of it, sliding on a frictionless surface with a frequency of 1.9 Hz. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.459 and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. To prevent the smaller block from slipping, the maximum amplitude of oscillation should not exceed a value that would result in a maximum acceleration of 4.5 m/s^2.
Mac13
I've been staring at this problem for a loonnng time and i just can't figure it out:(.. i would appreciate it if someone could help me...thx! :)

A large block with mass 26 kg executes
horizontal simple harmonic motion as it slides
across a frictionless surface with a frequency
1:9 Hz : Block smaller block with mass 9 kg
rests on it, and the
coefcient of static friction between the two is
u = 0.459.
The acceleration of gravity is 9:8.
What maximum amplitude of oscillation
can the system have if the block is not to slip?
Answer in units of cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the smaller block is 9(9.81) = 88.29 Newtons. The force necessary to overcome the static friction, then is (88.29)(0.459)= 40.52 Newtons. Using "F= ma", that would correspond to an acceleration (of the smaller) block of 40.52= 9a or
a= 4.50 m/s2. What amplitude would give a maximum acceleration no greater than 4.5 m/s2?

thanks...its a little too late to turn it in for my homework because it was due early this morning but at least i understand it now:)

1. What is the maximum amplitude of oscillation of a block?

The maximum amplitude of oscillation of a block is the farthest distance the block moves away from its equilibrium position during one complete cycle of oscillation.

2. How is the maximum amplitude of oscillation of a block calculated?

The maximum amplitude of oscillation can be calculated by measuring the distance between the equilibrium position and the farthest point the block reaches in one direction during oscillation. This distance is then divided by two to get the maximum amplitude.

3. What factors affect the maximum amplitude of oscillation of a block?

The maximum amplitude of oscillation of a block can be affected by factors such as the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring or support, and the initial displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. It can also be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. What is the relationship between maximum amplitude and frequency of oscillation?

The maximum amplitude of oscillation is directly proportional to the frequency of oscillation. This means that as the frequency increases, the maximum amplitude also increases. Conversely, as the frequency decreases, the maximum amplitude decreases.

5. How does the maximum amplitude of oscillation affect the energy of the system?

The maximum amplitude of oscillation is directly related to the energy of the system. As the maximum amplitude increases, so does the kinetic and potential energy of the system. This means that a higher maximum amplitude results in a higher total energy of the system.