Can a Double Integral be Simplified Using a Substitution of Polar Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation suggests using a substitution to evaluate the integral \int_{0}^{\infty}dx \int_{0}^{\infty}dy e^{i(x^{2}-y^{2})} under the symmetry (x,y) \rightarrow (y,x). The suggested substitution is x=rcosh(u) and y=rsinh(u) (or vice versa), and the integral can be expressed as \int_{0}^{\infty}dr re^{ir^{2}}d\Omega. Another method is to use Euler's formula and integrate \cos x^2 separately from \sin x^2. Ultimately, the goal is to map the rectangular coordinates (0,\infty)x
Klaus_Hoffmann
If we wish to calculate the integral.

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}dx \int_{0}^{\infty}dy e^{i(x^{2}-y^{2}} [/tex]

which under the symmetry [tex] (x,y) \rightarrow (y,x) [/tex] it gives you the complex conjugate counterpart.

my idea is to make the substitution (as an analogy of Laplace method)

[tex] x=rcosh(u) [/tex] , [tex] y=rsinh(u) [/tex] (or viceversa) using the fact that the square of cosh minus square of sinh is equal to one and expressing the integral as:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}dr re^{ir^{2}}d\Omega [/tex]

the integral Omega is over the angle variable u, if we knew tha exact value of Omega the the radial part is just the imaginary number "i" if i am not wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a way do to this without any substitutions.

We can write:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-iy^2} \ dy \cdot \int_0^{\infty} e^{ix^2} \ dx[/tex]

Use Euler's formula:
[tex]\left( \int_0^{\infty} \cos y^2 - i\sin y^2 \ dy \right) + \left( \int_0^{\infty} \cos x^2 + i \sin x^2 \ dx \right)[/tex]

Which can be combined into:
[tex] 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos x^2 \ dx = \sqrt{ \frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

Thanks kummer, i know that the integra proposed can be made by simple analytic method however i would like to know how to perform the integral with my transformation of coordinates, so if we can map the rectangle.

[tex] R= (0, \infty) x(0,\infty) [/tex] Cartesian coordinates

to [tex] V= (0, \infty) x(-\pi,\pi) [/tex] Polar (??) coordinates

[tex] x=r cosh(u) [/tex] and the same for y with the hyperbolic sine.

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in the x-y plane.

What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space.

How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which define the region in the x-y plane over which the integration will occur. Then, you can use various techniques such as integration by parts or substitution to solve the integral.

What are some applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the volume of a solid with varying density, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the area of a region in the x-y plane bounded by two curves.

Can double integrals be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, double integrals can be extended to higher dimensions, such as triple integrals for calculating the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering.