Understanding Inelasticity: Explaining Kinetic Energy Loss in Clay Balls

• Thread starter psruler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, the conversation is about justifying the inelasticity of a clay ball using kinetic energy, and where the lost energy goes in this case. The response is that most of the lost energy goes into deforming the clay ball, and an explanation is given about the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions.
psruler
Hi, can someone please help me explain this problem,

If a ball that is made of clay is inelastic, how do I justify that using kinetic energy? If inelastic, where does the "lost" energy go in this case?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
"How do I justify that using kinetic energy?" That using kinetic energy does what?

In the case of clay balls, most of the lost energy goes into deforming the balls.

cookiemonster

I wanted to say how to I justify that the clay ball is inelastic using kinetic energy?

An elastic collision is defined to be a collision in which kinetic energy is conserved.

An inelastic collision is defined to be a collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved.

cookiemonster

thanks cookiemonster!

1. What is an elastic problem?

An elastic problem refers to a situation where a material or structure is subjected to external forces, causing it to deform and then return to its original shape when the forces are removed. This is known as elastic deformation, and it occurs due to the material's ability to store and release energy.

2. How do you solve an elastic problem?

To solve an elastic problem, you need to use the principles of elasticity, which involve understanding the relationship between stress and strain in a material. This can be achieved through mathematical equations and calculations, as well as experimental testing.

3. What are the factors that affect elastic deformation?

The factors that affect elastic deformation include the type of material, its shape and size, the magnitude and direction of the external forces, and the environment in which the material is placed. Temperature and time can also play a role in the extent of elastic deformation.

4. What are some real-life examples of elastic problems?

Some real-life examples of elastic problems include the stretching of a rubber band, the compression of a spring, the bending of a diving board, and the deformation of a bridge due to the weight of passing vehicles. These situations all involve materials being subjected to external forces and exhibiting elastic deformation.

5. How does understanding elastic problems benefit us?

Understanding elastic problems is crucial in many fields of engineering, such as structural, mechanical, and materials engineering. It allows us to design and build structures and products that can withstand external forces without breaking or permanently deforming. It also helps us predict and prevent potential failures in these structures and products, ensuring their safety and longevity.