How Does Doubling Pressure Affect Temperature in a Sealed Argon Tank?

• Thread starter glitchy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation involves discussing how to calculate the mass of argon in a rigid sealed tank and the resulting temperature when pressure is doubled. The main point of confusion is the units used in the calculations. The correct formula to use is PV=mRT, with volume in m^3, pressure in Pa or N/m^2, and temperature in Kelvins. To find the mass of argon, use the number of moles obtained from PV=nRT and the molar weight of argon. When pressure is doubled, the temperature remains unchanged.
glitchy
Hey all,
got a few questions i need help at. any hlep is fully appreciated.

A rigid sealed 50-liter tank contains argon at a pressure of 5MPa and 400K.
1. What is the mass of argon - what i did here was use PV=mRT, so that means (5000kPa)(50)=m(value from table)(400). what I'm slightly confused about is the Volume, is it correct to us 50?

2. The contents of the tank are then heated so that pressure is doubled, wht is the resulting temp? - won't i us the same formula but just double the pressure and use the value of 'm' that i got from the first part.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Mind the units. Check the table you used to find R. If it has units, for example, m3 Pa / (K mol), you should obviously take the volume in m3, which is not the same a liters (how do you convert them?)

2. Wasn't there something about some equation with p and V being constant?

glitchy said:
Hey all,
got a few questions i need help at. any hlep is fully appreciated.

A rigid sealed 50-liter tank contains argon at a pressure of 5MPa and 400K.
1. What is the mass of argon - what i did here was use PV=mRT, so that means (5000kPa)(50)=m(value from table)(400). what I'm slightly confused about is the Volume, is it correct to us 50?
You just have to get the units right. Using MKS, you must have units of volume in m^3. Pressure is in Pa or N/m^2 and T is in Kelvins. One litre is 10^-3 m^3. and one kPa is 1000 N/m^2.

Use PV = nRT to get the number of moles and use the molar weight of Argon to get the mass.

2. The contents of the tank are then heated so that pressure is doubled, wht is the resulting temp? - won't i us the same formula but just double the pressure and use the value of 'm' that i got from the first part.
You don't need m. Since volume remains unchanged, doubling the pressure does what to the temperature?

AM

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and other forms of energy. It studies how energy is converted from one form to another and how it affects the physical properties of matter.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the gas laws perfectly under all conditions. This means that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, making it easier to study and analyze their behavior.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

4. How is temperature related to thermodynamics?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. In thermodynamics, temperature is used to determine the direction of heat flow and the amount of work that can be done by a system.

5. Can thermodynamics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, thermodynamics is a fundamental concept that is applicable to many real-life situations. It is used in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology to understand and predict the behavior of systems and processes involving energy transfer.