Disambiguating arccosine/arcsine functions

• Thread starter techninja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, if you have two equations in trigonometry, and you need to find out what omega is, you can check for the existence of omega, or solve for omega using a trig identity and a function that is non-negative in the domain of omega.
techninja
Hi all,

I'm working on a program, and it seems that I can't get the trigonometry in my head right. I have two equations, sin(omega) = something and cos(omega) = something, and I need to find what omega is.

Given that there are two trig functions, I should be able to disambiguate what quadrant omega is in.

On the other hand, I don't quite understand the process of how this would be done.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help forums (where homework and coursework should be posted).

What are the +/- signs of the sin and cos functions in the 4 quadrants?

Oh, sorry about that.

Well, if we're going to go thataway, sine is positive in I and II, cosine is positive in I and III. Arcsine is defined in I and IV, arccosine is defined in I and II.

Thanks!

techninja said:
Oh, sorry about that.

Well, if we're going to go thataway, sine is positive in I and II, cosine is positive in I and III. Arcsine is defined in I and IV, arccosine is defined in I and II.

Thanks!

You're welcome. So does that mean your question is answered?

Nope; not at all. :rofl:

techninja said:
Hi all,

I'm working on a program, and it seems that I can't get the trigonometry in my head right. I have two equations, sin(omega) = something and cos(omega) = something, and I need to find what omega is.

Well, firstly, you have to check for the existence of omega. You know the relation between sine, and cosine function, right?

[tex]\sin ^ 2 \omega + \cos ^ 2 \omega = 1[/tex]

If the above equation holds, then omega exists, if not, it doesn't. Do you know why?

Given that there are two trig functions, I should be able to disambiguate what quadrant omega is in.

On the other hand, I don't quite understand the process of how this would be done.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

techninja said:
Well, if we're going to go thataway, sine is positive in I and II, cosine is positive in I and III...

We don't need the arcsin, and arccos part here.

Ok, so, say, if sin(omega) is positive, and cos(omega) is negative, what quadrant is omega in?

:)

That's a trig identity, I believe.

And, if sine is positive, it would be arccos(cos(omega)), and if not, it would be... 2*pi-arccos(cos(omega))?

Would that be right?

Thanks. (:

techninja said:
That's a trig identity, I believe.

And, if sine is positive, it would be arccos(cos(omega)), and if not, it would be... 2*pi-arccos(cos(omega))?

Would that be right?

Thanks. (:

Yup, correct. :)

However, does your omega has any restriction? i.e, say, must it be on the interval [0; 2pi[? Or anything along those line?

If omega must be on [0; 2pi[, then your solution would be:

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{ll} \omega = \arccos (\cos (\omega)) , & \quad \mbox{for non-negative } \sin \omega \\ \omega = 2 \pi - \arccos \cos ( \omega ), & \quad \mbox{for negative } \sin \omega \end{array} \right.[/tex]

If, omega can be anything, then the general solution for omega would be:

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{ll} \omega = \arccos (\cos (\omega)) + \2 k \pi , & \quad \mbox{for non-negative } \sin \omega \\ \omega = - \arccos ( \cos \omega ) + 2 k' \pi , & \quad \mbox{for negative } \sin \omega \end{array} \right.[/tex], where k, and k' are both integers.

You got it correctly. Congratulations. ^.^

Can you complete the programme? :)

Last edited:

What are the arccosine and arcsine functions used for?

The arccosine and arcsine functions are used to find the angle whose cosine or sine is a given number. They are the inverse functions of cosine and sine, respectively.

How do I disambiguate between the two functions?

The arccosine function is commonly denoted as arccos(x) or cos-1(x), while the arcsine function is denoted as arcsin(x) or sin-1(x).

What is the domain and range of these functions?

The domain of both functions is [-1,1], while the range of arccosine is [0,π] and the range of arcsine is [-π/2,π/2].

How are these functions used in real-life applications?

These functions are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving angles and trigonometric functions. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to manipulate 2D and 3D shapes.

Are there any special properties or identities associated with these functions?

Yes, there are several identities and properties that can be derived from the definitions of these functions, such as the sum and difference identities, double-angle identities, and half-angle identities. These can be useful in simplifying expressions and solving equations involving trigonometric functions.