Calculating Heat of Combustion for C2H6: Homework Statement Help

In summary, the heat of combustion for C2H6 can be calculated using the given information and applying heats of formations for each compound, resulting in a value of 1429 kJ/mol.
chemzz

Homework Statement

Calculate the heat of combustion for C2H6 from the following information:
C2H4+ 3O2----> 2 CO2 + 2 H2O (-1409.5kJ)
C2H4 + H2 ----> C2H2 (-136.7 KJ)
H2 + 1/2 O2 -----> H2O ( -285.5 kJ)

The Attempt at a Solution

C2H6 --> C2H4 + H2 +136.7kJ
C2H4 + 302 --> 2CO2 + 2H20 -1409.5kJ
C2H6 + 3O2 --> 2CO2 + 2H2O + H2 -1272.8kJ
H2 + 1/2 O2 --> H2O -285.5Kj
C2H6 + 3.5O2 --> 2CO2 + 3H2O - 1558.3kJ

is my final answer 1558.3 correct?:confused: can someone check this for me pleasez

Physics news on Phys.org
It is close.
I have the following:
C2H6 + 2.5O2 --> 2CO2 + 3H2O + DH
Applying heats of formations for each compound:
-85 + 2.5*0 = 2*(-394) + 3*(-242) + DH
DH = 1429 kJ/mol

You may use the following calculator http://home.fuse.net/clymer/rq/ but I found it not being very accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot provide the answer to your homework question. However, I can guide you through the steps to calculate the heat of combustion for C2H6.

The first step is to write out the balanced chemical equation for the combustion of C2H6:

C2H6 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

Next, we can see that for every 2 moles of C2H6, we need 7 moles of O2 to fully combust it. This means that the heat of combustion for 2 moles of C2H6 will be:

2C2H6 + 7O2 --> 4CO2 + 6H2O

Now, we can use the information given in the question to calculate the overall heat of combustion for 2 moles of C2H6:

2C2H6 + 7O2 --> 4CO2 + 6H2O
-1409.5 kJ + (-136.7 kJ) = -1546.2 kJ

This means that for 2 moles of C2H6, the heat of combustion is -1546.2 kJ. To find the heat of combustion for 1 mole of C2H6, we need to divide this value by 2:

(-1546.2 kJ) / 2 = -773.1 kJ

Therefore, the heat of combustion for 1 mole of C2H6 is -773.1 kJ. This is the final answer and it is different from the value you calculated. I recommend double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct values for the heat of formation for each compound.

1. What is the Heat of Combustion?

The Heat of Combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen. It is a measure of the potential energy contained in a compound's chemical bonds.

2. How is the Heat of Combustion calculated?

The Heat of Combustion is calculated by measuring the amount of heat released during the complete combustion of a substance in a controlled environment, and then dividing that value by the mass of the substance. This gives the specific heat of combustion, which can then be converted to the heat of combustion per mole.

3. Why is the Heat of Combustion important?

The Heat of Combustion is important because it provides valuable information about the energy content of a substance. It is used in many industries, such as energy production and fuel development, to determine the efficiency and potential of a substance as a source of energy.

4. What factors affect the Heat of Combustion?

The Heat of Combustion can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel or substance being burned, the amount of oxygen present during combustion, and the temperature and pressure of the environment in which the combustion takes place. Other impurities or additives in the fuel can also affect the Heat of Combustion.

5. How does the Heat of Combustion relate to the concept of enthalpy?

The Heat of Combustion is a type of enthalpy, specifically the enthalpy change that occurs during the complete combustion of a substance. Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, and the Heat of Combustion is a specific type of energy that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.