Differential Equations: exact equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving exact equations, with the person seeking help with a specific problem. The solution involves finding the function F and plugging in the solution to obtain the final answer.
jimmypoopins
i fell asleep when the professor went over how to solve exact equations :-/ i know it's really easy but despite reading the chapter over and over i still can't get it right. please show me where I'm going wrong / what to do next.

Homework Statement

Determine whether the equation in problem 1 is exact. If it is exact, find the solution.
[tex](2x + 3) + (2y - 2)y' = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](2x + 3)dx + (2y - 2)dy = 0[/tex]

[tex]M_{y} = 0 = N_{x} = 0[/tex] <--- the equation is exact

[tex]\psi_{x} = 0[/tex] --> [tex]\psi = \int^x 0dx = x + h(y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dy} = h'(y) = 2y - 2[/tex] ---> [tex]h(y)= y^2 - 2y[/tex]

and then i get stuck. I'm not sure where to go from there. the answer to the problem is [tex]x^2 + 3x + y^2 - 2y = c[/tex], which is apparent to me if you turn the original equation into a separable one, but that's not possible with all exact equations.

thanks for your time everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
An exact equation is one of the form dF(x,y)=0. So it has solutions F(x,y)=c. The dF equation
becomes F_x*dx+F_y*dy=0, where the underscores are partial derivatives. So F_x is your M and F_y is your N. What you want to do is find F. Since F_x=2x+3, F=x^2+3x+h(y). And sure F_y is then h'(y) which you know is 2y-2. Solve for h(y) (as you did). Now what is F? Hence what are the solutions?

You already solved it. Just plug your c(y) into F. Your F is x^2 + 3x + c(y) after you integrated the M term. Plug c(y) back into F and you get x^2+3x+y^2-2y.

It's not really worth while recycling threads from 2007. Now is it?

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the total differential of the equation can be expressed as the product of two functions. This means that the equation can be solved exactly without any approximation or estimation.

2. How is an exact differential equation different from an ordinary differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation is a type of differential equation where the derivative of the dependent variable is expressed in terms of the independent variable. An exact differential equation is a special case of an ordinary differential equation where the total differential can be expressed as the product of two functions.

3. What are the steps to solve an exact differential equation?

The steps to solve an exact differential equation are as follows:

1. Check if the given equation is exact by verifying if the total differential can be expressed as the product of two functions.
  2. Find the integrating factor by dividing the coefficient of the dependent variable by the coefficient of the independent variable in the equation.
  3. Multiply the entire equation by the integrating factor.
  4. Integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable.
  5. Solve for the constant of integration to get the general solution.

4. What are the initial conditions in solving an exact differential equation?

The initial conditions are the specific values of the dependent and independent variables at a given point, usually denoted as (x0, y0). These conditions are used to determine the particular solution of the exact differential equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model various phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in economic models to analyze and predict market trends and behaviors.