Force and Newton's 2nd, weird lab results

In summary, the conversation discusses an analysis question regarding an experiment involving a spring scale, strings, and masses. The question is about what the spring scale should have read when different masses were hung from each string. The relevant equation is F=ma and the individual attempted a solution by considering the net force acting on the system. However, the spring scale only showed inconsistent readings and there may have been issues with the design of the experiment. The individual also suggests that the acceleration of the scale may have affected the measured value.
Woodpecker

Homework Statement

Not really a problem, but an analysis question on a lab that I can't figure out. We did an experiment in which we placed a spring scale on a table and attached strings to both sides. The strings went over pulleys and we hung various masses from them. My question is what should the spring scale have read when different masses were hung from each string (ex. 150 grams on one side, 200 on the other)?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can tell, the spring scale should have shown the net force acting upon the whole system. But it only did so inconsistently and with number fudging. Of course, that could have been due to the fact that the force had to be read off a spring scale accelerating away from me at 9.8 m/sec. sq. Overall, not a very well-designed experiment. But anyway, am I correct with the above hypothesis?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be the acceleration of the scale affected the little arm that points to the measured value. It should read the difference between the weights.

As a scientist, it is important to always approach experiments with critical thinking and a willingness to question the results. In this case, it is possible that the inconsistencies and difficulties with reading the spring scale were due to human error or flaws in the experimental setup. It is also important to consider the limitations of the equipment used, such as the spring scale and its potential for inaccuracies.

Based on Newton's Second Law, the spring scale should have read the net force acting on the system, which would be the sum of the forces from both masses. However, it is important to note that the spring scale may not have been able to accurately measure this force due to its limitations. Additionally, the acceleration of the spring scale may have also affected the readings.

In order to improve the accuracy and reliability of the results, it may be necessary to repeat the experiment with various adjustments to the setup, such as using a more precise measuring device or reducing the acceleration of the spring scale. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to determine any potential sources of error.

Overall, it is important to always approach experiments with a critical and analytical mindset, and to consider all factors that may affect the results. By doing so, we can continue to improve our understanding of scientific principles and accurately interpret experimental data.

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) and can be calculated by multiplying mass (in kilograms) by acceleration (in meters per second squared).

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

As stated in Newton's second law, force and acceleration have a direct relationship. This means that if the force acting on an object increases, the acceleration of the object will also increase.

4. Why are my lab results different from what I expected?

There could be several reasons for unexpected lab results when studying force and Newton's second law. Some factors to consider include human error, equipment malfunction, or external forces acting on the object that were not accounted for in the experiment.

5. How can I apply Newton's second law to real-life situations?

Newton's second law can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the force needed to push a car or understanding the impact of gravity on objects in free fall. It is also the basis for many engineering and design principles.