Weight of landing from jumping

• Thread starter andrewz182
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, this is a debate between two friends over how a person's weight would be measured after jumping 2 feet off of a height. The debate is over what measurement would be used to calculate the person's weight.
andrewz182
if i were a 160 lb person who could jump a height of 2 feet, what would be my "weight/force/momentum" or whatever measurement used that will result in a calculation of pounds in the end.

this is in no way me asking for help with hw, this is over a debate i had with a friend, and neither of us can really figure it out...

would it be (mass x acceleration x time)??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by
will result in a calculation of pounds in the end.
?

or "pounds of force"

what do mean by "in the end"? I don't understand what is the debate about either

i mean at the point of impact with the ground.

ok to specify: what weight would a scale read if i were to jump on it from 2 feet?? would it just be calculating momentum??

so I guess you are saying that whether the downward force measured by a scale on the ground would register a bigger reading if you jump onto the scale as oppose to standing still on it? what do you think?

but more specifically, would it be possible for a 160 lb person, who is able to jump 2 feet up in the air, to exert enough force upon a scale to read over 400 lbs?

Force is equal to mass times acceleration. The same velocity can be achieved with a faster acceleration over a shorter period of time. There's no limit to the amount of force involved in a 2 foot landing, other than the maximum deceleration will be limited by how much compression there is at the contact point.

the force you are talking about is probably the instantaneous reading NOT at impact but when your body has just been fully decelerate to velocity zero I think, and before the scale re-adjust and show your "true weight"

mind you there are all those usual stuff like air resistance, or how you may destroy the scale etc...ie. what is the displacement during deceleration (otherwise it is probably not just 2 feet the total distance travelled) or whether deceleration is constant during that time...

1. What factors affect the weight of a landing from jumping?

The weight of a landing from jumping is affected by several factors, including the height of the jump, the speed at which the person is falling, the surface they are landing on, and their body weight. These factors determine the impact force experienced by the body upon landing.

2. How does the height of the jump affect the weight of the landing?

The higher the jump, the greater the weight of the landing. This is because the person has a longer distance to fall and therefore will be moving at a faster speed upon impact, resulting in a higher impact force.

3. Does the surface impact the weight of a landing from jumping?

Yes, the surface does impact the weight of a landing from jumping. A softer surface, such as a foam pit, will absorb more of the impact force and result in a lower weight of landing compared to a harder surface, such as concrete.

4. Is body weight a significant factor in the weight of a landing from jumping?

Yes, body weight plays a significant role in the weight of a landing from jumping. A person with a higher body weight will experience a higher impact force upon landing compared to someone with a lower body weight, assuming all other factors are the same.

5. How can one reduce the weight of a landing from jumping?

To reduce the weight of a landing from jumping, one can try to decrease the height of the jump, land on a softer surface, and/or reduce their body weight. It is also important to land with proper technique, such as bending the knees and rolling through the impact to distribute the force more evenly throughout the body.