What is the Angular Speed of a Rotating Hoop with Given Radius and Mass?

In summary, the problem involves a hoop with a radius of 8.00 cm and mass of 0.180 kg, which is released from rest with a string wrapped around its rim. After descending 95.0 cm, the angular speed of the rotating hoop and the speed of its center need to be calculated. Various attempts to solve the problem using equations for kinetic energy, vertical and tangential velocity, and rotational inertia were unsuccessful. The solution may involve using equations for moments of inertia and rotational motion.
Heat

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped several times around the rim of a small hoop with radius 8.00 cm and mass 0.180kg. The free end of the string is held in place and the hoop is released from rest (the figure View Figure ). After the hoop has descended 95.0cm, calculate

the angular speed of the rotating hoop and the speed of its center.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First attempt was like this

I thought that KE is 0 at initial ,and thought that I could get angular speed this way, but that would just give me that angular speed is 0. :O

Then I tried a formula given by the book for a yoyo, which is vcm = sqrt (4/3gh)
that did not result, and then is another formula that vcm = R(omega)

I don't have omega, and don't have vcm. So I can't use it at this instance. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
The hoop is decending under the force of gravity by virtue of its weight, mg. At the same time, it is unraveling the string. It's vertical velocity is the same as the tangential velocity (speed) at it's radius. And then there is the rotational inertia to consider.

For moments of inertia and rotational motion equations, see -

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

i don't get it..so the angular speed of the rotating hoop w = ?

and

the angular speed of the speed of its center v = Square_Root_Of_((4/3)gh) ... ??

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed refers to the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed point, measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate of angular displacement, while linear speed is the rate of linear displacement. In other words, angular speed measures how quickly an object is rotating, while linear speed measures how quickly an object is moving in a straight line.

3. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angle of rotation (in radians) by the time it takes to rotate through that angle. This can also be represented as the change in angular position divided by the change in time.

4. What is the unit of measurement for angular speed?

The unit of measurement for angular speed is radians per second (rad/s).

5. How is angular speed used in real-world applications?

Angular speed is used in many different fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is often used to measure the speed of rotating objects, such as wheels and gears, and is also important in understanding the movement of planets and other celestial bodies.