Preventing a box from sliding.

• Thread starter Metalsonic75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Sliding
In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum acceleration a truck can have without causing a box in the back to slide forward. The sum of forces in the x direction is equal to mass times acceleration, and the force of static friction is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force. The person is confused about the acceleration, but it can be solved for by setting up an equation that equates the static friction force to the maximum stopping force.
Metalsonic75
1. A person driving a truck has a box in the back. They are driving at a constant speed (v_0) when they notice a red light and have to stop. What is the maximum acceleration the truck can have without causing the box to slide forward? (Answer must be given in terms of variables, as no values are given)

2. Sum of forces in the x direction=m*a, f_s=[tex]\mu[/tex]*n= [tex]\mu[/tex]*mg.

3. The thing that confuses me most is the acceleration. I assume the acceleration is negative because the truck is slowing down. I don't understand what force is acting on the box to slide it forward (I know friction is pushing it back), or how to measure that force. I assume f_s has to equal that force so the box doesn't move, but if it does, the sum of forces = 0, and thus m*a=0, thus a=0. But a can't be zero! So how do I solve for a?

Physics news on Phys.org
The net force is zero and the net force is not just ma. You stated that you knew that the static friction force must be equal to the maximum stopping force. Can you set up an equation that will allow you to solve for acceleration now?

I would approach this problem by first identifying all of the forces acting on the box. These forces include the force of gravity pulling the box downward (mg), the normal force from the truck bed pushing the box upward (n), and the force of friction (f_s) between the box and the truck bed.

Next, I would use the equation of motion in the x-direction (sum of forces = mass times acceleration) to determine the maximum acceleration that the truck can have without causing the box to slide forward. This equation can be written as:

m*a = f_s - \mu*n

Since the truck is driving at a constant speed (v_0), we can assume that the acceleration (a) is equal to zero. This means that the sum of forces in the x-direction must also equal zero.

Therefore, we can set the equation equal to zero and solve for the maximum acceleration (a) as follows:

0 = f_s - \mu*n

a = \frac{f_s}{m} = \frac{\mu*n}{m}

We know that the mass of the box (m) and the coefficient of friction (\mu) are constants, so the only variable left to solve for is the normal force (n). This normal force is dependent on the weight of the box (mg) and the angle of the truck bed.

To determine the maximum acceleration, we would need to know the specific values for the weight of the box and the angle of the truck bed. Without these values, we can only provide a general equation for the maximum acceleration, as shown above.

In conclusion, to prevent the box from sliding forward, the maximum acceleration of the truck can be calculated using the equation a = \frac{\mu*n}{m}, where n is the normal force and is dependent on the weight of the box and the angle of the truck bed.

1. How can I prevent a box from sliding on a smooth surface?

To prevent a box from sliding on a smooth surface, you can use friction to increase the grip between the box and the surface. This can be achieved by placing a rubber mat or grip pad underneath the box, or by using double-sided tape on the bottom of the box.

2. Can I use weights to prevent a box from sliding?

Yes, you can use weights to prevent a box from sliding. Placing a heavy object on top of the box can increase the downward force and therefore increase the friction between the box and the surface, preventing it from sliding.

3. Are there any other methods besides friction to prevent a box from sliding?

Yes, there are other methods besides friction that can be used to prevent a box from sliding. For example, you can use a stopper or chock to physically block the movement of the box, or you can attach Velcro strips to the box and the surface to keep it in place.

4. How can I prevent a box from sliding on an incline?

To prevent a box from sliding on an incline, you can increase the friction between the box and the surface by using one of the methods mentioned before, such as using a rubber mat or double-sided tape. You can also try to position the box so that it is perpendicular to the incline, which will reduce the force of gravity pulling it down.

5. Is there a maximum weight or size of the box that can be prevented from sliding?

The maximum weight or size of the box that can be prevented from sliding will depend on the strength of the surface and the methods used to prevent it from sliding. For heavier or larger boxes, it may be necessary to use multiple methods in combination to ensure it does not slide.