Converting Ocular Unit Magnification

In summary, the speaker is in panic mode because their lab partner measured the pollen tube length at different magnifications instead of the required 40x. They are wondering if it is possible to convert the ocular units from 10x to 40x and are seeking help with this.
Draco
Hey guys, I'm in panic mode right now and was just hoping if you guys knew a bit about magnification? Well basically i did a lab and in the lab we were supposed to observe and measure pollen tube length at 40x. My partner didn't follow this and measured the lengths at different magnifications. I have the ocular units and magnifications and was just wondering is it possible to convert the ocular units to like different magnifications.

So like converting ocular units from 10x to 40x. (e.g. 25 OMU at 10x is ____ OMU at 40x)

Is it possible? Please help, I'm like really scared now.

Physics news on Phys.org
pretty straightforward. See a description http://academic.evergreen.edu/curricular/fcb/wk2calibration.doc"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

I understand your concern about converting ocular units to different magnifications. It is certainly possible to convert ocular units from one magnification to another. The conversion factor for this would be the ratio of the two magnifications. For example, to convert from 10x to 40x, you would divide the ocular units at 40x by the ocular units at 10x.

In your example, 25 OMU at 10x is equivalent to 100 OMU at 40x. This means that the pollen tube length measured at 25 OMU at 10x would be equivalent to a length of 100 OMU at 40x.

I hope this helps alleviate your panic and allows you to accurately analyze your lab results. Just remember to use the appropriate conversion factor for the magnifications you are working with. Best of luck!

1. What is the formula for converting ocular unit magnification?

The formula for converting ocular unit magnification is: objective lens magnification x eyepiece magnification = total magnification.

2. How do I determine the objective lens magnification?

The objective lens magnification is usually marked on the side of the objective lens or can be found in the specifications of the microscope. If not, you can calculate it by dividing the total magnification by the eyepiece magnification.

3. Can I use a different eyepiece to change the magnification?

Yes, changing the eyepiece will change the magnification. Keep in mind that the total magnification will be affected by both the objective lens and the eyepiece magnification.

4. How do I convert ocular unit magnification to micrometers?

To convert ocular unit magnification to micrometers, you will need to know the diameter of the field of view in micrometers. Then, divide the diameter of the field of view by the total magnification to get the size of each ocular unit in micrometers.

5. Is it possible to have a negative ocular unit magnification?

No, ocular unit magnification cannot be negative. It is a measure of how much the image is magnified, so it is always a positive number.