Proof of a Countability Theorem

In summary, to prove that X is countable, we can use the fact that a set X is countable if it has an injective function X --> N. Since we are given a surjective function N --> X, we can use its inverse to create an injective function X --> N. Therefore, X is countable. Additionally, we can use this inverse function to define a countable ordering for the members of X if needed.
patfan7452
Hey all,

Can anyone prove this theorem?

Let N (natural numbers) ---> X be an onto function. Then X is countable.

I've been staring at it for 3 hours and really can't come up with anything. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia gives this definition for countable:
A set X is called countable if there exists an injective function
X --> N

You have given us the opposite: a surjective function N --> S.

So, let "f" be your N --> X.

Now consider the inverse of f. It is an injective function X --> N. Because you have an injective function X --> N, you have proven X is countable.

If you want to get super fancy, you could even use f to define a countable ordering for the members of X, but this much shouldn't be necessary...

What do you mean by the "inverse" of f? If you are only given that f is surjective, it may not be injective and so may not have an inverse.

Let f be the function that maps N onto X

If f-1({x}) is the set of natural numbers s.t f(n)=x. Clearly these partition N, and all of them are non-empty. hence, for each x, there exists some n s.t. f(n)=x. Then, defining g(x) by g(x)=n for some n satisfying the f(n)=x, we can map X bijectively to some subset of N (if you want a more rigorous definition of g, let g(x) be the minimum element of f-1(x), which exists by well ordering). Hence X is countable

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Shredder,

Why does "f f-1({x}) is the set of natural numbers s.t f(n)=x" clearly partition N? Also, why is the map from X to some subset of N bijective?

[tex]f^{-1}( \{ x \} )[/tex] partitions N as for each n, f(n) maps to exactly one x. To be a bit more technical, it should be clear that [tex]f^{-1}(X)=N[/tex] i.e. the set of natural numbers that map to somewhere in the set X is all of N, but [tex]\bigcup_{x \epsilon X} f^{-1}( \{ x \} ) = f^{-1}( \bigcup_{x \epsilon X} \{ x \} ) = f^{-1}(X)=N[/tex] and for [tex]x_1, x_2 \epsilon X[/tex] if [tex]n \epsilon f^{-1}( \{ x_1 \} ), f^{-1}( \{ x_2 \} )[/tex] then by definition [tex]f(n)=x_1, x_2[/tex] that is [tex]x_1=x_2[/tex] Obviously this can't happen, so they have empty intersections.

Not all maps from X to a subset of N are bijective, just the one I described where you pick for each [tex]x \epsilon X[/tex] precisely ONE [tex]n_x[/tex] s.t. [tex]f(n_x)=x[/tex] then if this map is called g(x), g(x) is 1-1, and [tex] \{ n_x \epsilon N | x \epsilon X \} [/tex] is obviously a subset of N. So g is a bijection between X and this set

EDIT: I'm missing a lot of curly braces (which kind of makes sense, as they're supposed to indicate a block should be treated as an individual thing, and hence are invisible), but is there a way to make them show up? Alternatively, you'll have to imagine that where it looks like I'm describing a set, I am indeed

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
EDIT: I'm missing a lot of curly braces (which kind of makes sense, as they're supposed to indicate a block should be treated as an individual thing, and hence are invisible), but is there a way to make them show up? Alternatively, you'll have to imagine that where it looks like I'm describing a set, I am indeed

TeX for a brace is \{ or \}.

Thanks. I added them in

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by the "inverse" of f? If you are only given that f is surjective, it may not be injective and so may not have an inverse.

There should be a partial inverse.

See here:

Every function with a right inverse is a surjection... assuming [the axiom of] choice, a function f: X → Y is surjective if and only if there exists a function g: Y → X such that, for every y in Y

f(g(y)) = y , (g can be undone by f)

We're not really interested in reversing the surjection, what we're interested in is the existence of an injection from Y into X, which "g" from the quote provides.

1. What is a Countability Theorem?

A Countability Theorem is a mathematical theorem that proves the existence of a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of a set and the natural numbers. In other words, it shows that a set is countable, meaning it has a finite or infinite number of elements that can be counted.

2. What is the significance of a Countability Theorem?

A Countability Theorem is significant because it allows us to determine the size and structure of different sets. It also helps us understand the concept of infinity and the different levels of infinity. This theorem has many applications in various fields of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and number theory.

3. How is a Countability Theorem proved?

A Countability Theorem is proved using different techniques, depending on the specific theorem being used. The most common technique is the diagonalization argument, which involves constructing a new element that is not in the original set. Other techniques include using the Cantor-Bernstein-Schröder theorem and the Axiom of Choice.

4. Can any set be proven to be countable?

No, not all sets can be proven to be countable. It is possible to prove that a set is uncountable, which means that it has a larger cardinality than the set of natural numbers. For example, the set of real numbers is uncountable, and it has a higher cardinality than the set of natural numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of Countability Theorem?

The Countability Theorem has numerous real-world applications, including in computer science, where it is used to prove the complexity of algorithms. In economics, it is used to study the size and value of different markets. It is also used in physics to understand the properties of infinite space and time. Additionally, this theorem has applications in cryptography, game theory, and statistics.