Content Zero in R^p: Clarifying Confusion about J in R^2

• Thread starter buzzmath
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of content is used to measure the size of a set in terms of the minimum area needed to cover it with a finite number of cells. In this example, the set S in R^2 has content zero because it can be enclosed in 4n squares with each square having content 1/n^2. This shows that the total content of S can be made arbitrarily small, thus satisfying the definition of zero content. While the area of S may seem to be 4, this is not the minimum area needed to cover the set, and thus does not accurately represent its content.
buzzmath

Homework Statement

If we let J be in R^p so J=J1x...xJp the cartesian product of p cells in R. Then we define the content of J as c(J)=(b1-a1)...(bp-ap) so in like R it would be length area in R^2 etc. Then define content zero by Z in R^p has content zero if for each epsilon > 0 there exists a finite set J1,...,Jn of cells whose union contains Z and such that c(J1)+...c(Jn) < epsilon. In an example we did we let the space in R^2 S=((x,y): |x|+|y|=1) and we proved that S has content zero by letting n natural number introducing squares with diagonals on the line in S. then S can be in enclosed in 4n squares each with content 1/n^2 so the total content is 4/n which can be made small so S has content zero. Where I'm confused is S is in R^2 so the cells of S are (-1,1) and (-1,1) so c(S)=(-1-1(-1-1)=4 but we showed S has content zero. This is confusing to me can anyone help clarify?
Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are talking about. S is contained in [-1,1]x[-1,1] which has area 4. Sure. It's also contained in many collections of cells having smaller area.

in the space in R^2, S is diamond shaped and S={(x.y): |x|+|y|=1}. take n to be a natural number. then if you introduce squares with diagonals along S you can enclose S in 4n squares. The content of each square is 1/n^2. so the total content is 4/n which can be made arbitrarily small. So by definition S has content zero. My question is S is in R^2 and the x values range from -1 to 1 and same with the y values. So the content of S is c(S)=(1-(-1))(1-(-1))=4. I'm confused about this. Because by definition a set has zero content if for every epsilon > 0 there exists a finite set J1, ...,Jn of cells whose union contain the set and s.t. c(J1)+...+c(Jn)<epsilon. The squares in the example contain S and all contents added together can be made smaller than any epsilon by increasing epsilon. So it makes sense that S has content zero but I also see how the content could be 4. Also, it's not a square it's a diamond. I don't know if that makes a difference though. thanks

Area 4 is ONE way to cover the set with rectangles. 'Content' is defined as the limit of the MINIMUM area needed to cover the set with a FINITE number of rectangles, isn't it? The area 4 cover is hardly minimum.

1. What is the concept of "Content Zero" in R^p?

"Content Zero" refers to a set of points in a vector space R^p that have a content of zero, meaning they have no effect on the overall content of the space. This concept is often used in geometric measure theory and is important in understanding the properties of sets in higher dimensions.

2. How does "Content Zero" relate to J in R^2?

J in R^2 is a measure of the content of a set in two-dimensional space. "Content Zero" helps clarify confusion about J by identifying the points that have no influence on the overall content, thus allowing for a more accurate measurement of the set's content.

3. What are some common sources of confusion about J in R^2?

One of the main sources of confusion about J in R^2 is the fact that it can take on both positive and negative values, which can be counterintuitive. Another source of confusion is the role of "Content Zero" points and how they affect the overall content of a set.

4. How does understanding "Content Zero" in R^p benefit scientists?

Understanding "Content Zero" in R^p can help scientists accurately measure and analyze sets in higher dimensions. It also allows for a better understanding of the properties of sets and can aid in the development of new geometric measure theories.

5. Are there any real-world applications of "Content Zero" in R^p?

Yes, "Content Zero" has real-world applications in fields such as computer graphics, image processing, and machine learning, where geometric measure theory is used to analyze and manipulate data in higher dimensions. It can also be applied in other areas of science, such as physics and biology, to better understand the properties of complex systems.