Finding Integer Solutions for y^2 = x^3 + n

• Thread starter quila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discusses finding integer solutions for equations and specifically mentions the equation y^2 = x^3 + n, where n is an integer. It is mentioned that for certain values of n, such as +-2, there is a well-known solution called Fermat's problem. However, for larger values of n, it is unclear if there is a direct method for finding solutions. The conversation also mentions some trivial solutions and discusses potential methods for finding solutions involving factors and cubes. It is noted that this is a difficult problem in general and is connected to elliptic curves and number theory. The conversation ends with a question about whether there are infinite n such that n = x^2 - y^3 and a discussion about possible
quila
how does one go about finding integer solutions for an equation such as this? Is it easier to merely find how many solutions?

y^2 = x^3 + n, n is some integer.

Physics news on Phys.org
if n = +- 2 this is a classic Fermat's problem: prove that 26 is the only natural number between an square and a cube (5^2 = 25 and 3^3 = 27)

what if n is large? say n>100

where did you find this problem? Could you put here with the exacly words?

I thought X^2=Y^3 + 1 was a well-known problem.

There are trivial solutions, such as y=0, x=1, or x=0, y=-1. Ingnoring that, we have (X-1)(X+1) = y^3, with all factors assumed positive. X-1 and X+1 can only have 2 as a common factor. And, in that case, one term is divisible by 4. X-1=2a^3, X+1 = 4b^3, assuming a>0, b>0, this gives us 2=4a^3-2b^3, or 1 =2a^3-b^3. This is only possible if a=b=1. Thus the solution is 3^2=2^3+1.

For negative terms,b=-1, a=-1, 1=b^3-2a^3, giving x-1=4a^3=-4, x+1=2b^3=-2, we could have found, but excluded: (-3)^2= 2^3+1 for a=b=-1.

If they have nothing in common we get 2 = b^3-a^3, which gives no answer in positive integers. However, X-1= a^3=-1, X+1= b^3=1, gives X=0, Y=-1, another trivial result.

Thus there is only one non-trivial solution, already given: 3^2= 2^3+1.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
I thought X^2=Y^3 + 1 was a well-known problem.

There are trivial solutions, such as y=0, x=1, or x=0, y=-1. Ingnoring that, we have (X-1)(X+1) = y^3, with all factors assumed positive. X-1 and X+1 can only have 2 as a common factor. And, in that case, one term is divisible by 4. X-1=2a^3, X+1 = 4b^3, assuming a>0, b>0, this gives us 2=4a^3-2b^3, or 1 =2a^3-b^3. This is only possible if a=b=1. Thus the solution is 3^2=2^3+1.

For negative terms,b=-1, a=-1, 1=b^3-2a^3, giving x-1=4a^3=-4, x+1=2b^3=-2, we could have found, but excluded: (-3)^2= 2^3+1 for a=b=-1.

If they have nothing in common we get 2 = b^3-a^3, which gives no answer in positive integers. However, X-1= a^3=-1, X+1= b^3=1, gives X=0, Y=-1, another trivial result.

Thus there is only one non-trivial solution, already given: 3^2= 2^3+1.
That is the solution where n = 1, but more importantly what the poster asks is what method can be used to obtain the solution if n = other, e.g. 22. One could pose an infinite number of such questions but I doubt that there is a direct methof of solution. At least there is no discussion of such a problem as far as I know.

Last edited:
there are infinite n such that n = x^2 - y^3, this is trivial

there are at least one x and one y such that n = x^2 - y^3 for every n integer? this is the question, I think... it's hard!

ramsey2879: At least there is no discussion of such a problem as far as I know.

I agree. I don't think anything has been done beyond piecemeal efforts. Obviously, n=1 is a simple case.

al-mahed: if n = +- 2 this is a classic Fermat's problem: prove that 26 is the only natural number between an square and a cube (5^2 = 25 and 3^3 = 27)

I have some memory of 3^3=5^2+2. I can't seem to find any information about these problems at all.

Last edited:
al-mahed: there are at least one x and one y such that n = x^2 - y^3 for every n integer? this is the question, I think... it's hard!
That, I feel is not true. Take 4=X^2-Y^3. Obviously Y=0 is such a solution, a negative Y impossible. But for X and Y greater than 0, consider them both even Then in this case we have 4=4x'^2+8y'^2. This leaves us 1=x'^2+2y'^3. Only solution y' = 0.

Now if X and Y are both odd,Y^3=(X-2)(X+2), assume X>2, these have no common factor, (since only 2 could be such a factor) x-2 =a^3, x+2 = b^3. This then gives
4 = b^3-a^3 = (b-a)(b^2+ab+a^2). Since a and b are odd, 4 divides b-a, and thus we have the form: [tex]1= (b^2+ab+a^2)\frac{b-a}{4}[/tex] Clearly b-a can not be zero and with only positive terms a^2+ab+b^2 exceeds 1.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
al-mahed: there are at least one x and one y such that n = x^2 - y^3 for every n integer? this is the question, I think... it's hard!
That, I feel is not true. Take 4=X^2-Y^3. Obviously Y=0 is such a solution, a negative Y impossible. But for X and Y greater than 0, consider them both even Then in this case we have 4=4x'^2+8y'^2. This leaves us 1=x'^2+2y'^3. Only solution y' = 0.

Now if X and Y are both odd,Y^3=(X-2)(X+2), assume X>2, these have no common factor, (since only 2 could be such a factor) x-2 =a^3, x+2 = b^3. This then gives
4 = b^3-a^3 = (b-a)(b^2+ab+a^2). Since a and b are odd, 4 divides b-a, and thus we have the form: [tex]1= (b^2+ab+a^2)\frac{b-a}{4}[/tex] Clearly b-a can not be zero and with only positive terms a^2+ab+b^2 exceeds 1.

I did not follow you here: Now if X and Y are both odd,Y^3=(X-2)(X+2), assume X>2, these have no common factor, (since only 2 could be such a factor) x-2 =a^3, x+2 = b^3.

why did you conclude that x-2 and x+2 can each be written as a cube?

al-mahed said:

He took n = 4, which means 4 = X^2-Y^3. Adding Y^3 - 4 to each side gives Y^3 = X^2 - 4 = (X - 2)(X + 2). Since they have no common factors, if one is not a cube then the product is not a cube.

Last edited:
al-mahed said:
There are no cubes which are 4 apart. The difference between consecutive cubes grows rapidly (quadratically).

CRGreathouse said:
He took n = 4, which means 4 = X^2-Y^3. Adding Y^3 - 4 to each side gives Y^3 = X^2 - 4 = (X - 2)(X + 2). Since they have no common factors, if one is not a cube then the product is not a cube.

Now I see, thanks!

I made my question because I had conclude that if only one is a cube the product can not be a cube, but is you right when you say: both need to be a cube, and if no one is a cube, there is no way an odd number N with the same factor than N + 4

Xevarion said:
There are no cubes which are 4 apart. The difference between consecutive cubes grows rapidly (quadratically).

Yes, this part is clear, I made another question, concerning the fact that y^3=(x-2)(x+2) ==> y| (x-2) or (x+2) only if y is prime (of course y dividing only one makes impossible the product be a cube). If y is not prime was not so clearly for me that (x-2)(x+2) cannot form a cube, although to be almost obvious.

What ever prime divides (x-2) and (x+2) also divides the sum, which is 4.

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic tells us that any integer can be decomposed into prime factors in only one way, without regard for order. Thus we only need to consider prime factors.

What is the definition of an integer solution?

An integer solution is a set of values for x and y that satisfy the given equation and are both whole numbers (positive, negative, or zero).

How do I find integer solutions for y^2 = x^3 + n?

To find integer solutions for this equation, you can use a method called "trial and error." Start by plugging in different values for x and solving for y. If the resulting y value is a whole number, then you have found an integer solution. If not, try a different value for x until you find a solution.

Can there be more than one integer solution for y^2 = x^3 + n?

Yes, there can be multiple integer solutions for this equation. In fact, there are often infinitely many solutions, as there are infinite values for x and y that satisfy the equation.

Are there any patterns or shortcuts for finding integer solutions?

Yes, there are some patterns and shortcuts that can be used to find integer solutions for this equation. For example, if n is a perfect square, then there will be integer solutions for x and y. Also, if n is a multiple of a perfect square, there may be more than one integer solution. Additionally, some integer solutions can be found by factoring the equation or using modular arithmetic.

Can I use a computer program to find integer solutions for y^2 = x^3 + n?

Yes, there are computer programs and online tools available that can help find integer solutions for this equation. However, it is still important to understand the underlying concepts and methods used to find these solutions.