Conservation of energy relativity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of mass into energy and how to calculate the amount of mass that can be raised to a certain height using this energy. The famous equation E=mc^2 is mentioned, but the use of conservation of energy is also suggested. The conversation also briefly mentions Einstein and his theories on energy and mass.
hibiscus23
Hi could someone please help me with this question. I don't know where to start. :rolleyes:

A certain amount of energy is obtained from conversion of 5.00 grams of mass. How much mass could this energy raise to a height of 96 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Use conservation of energy. The energy produced in the conversion (which you can caluculate by the most famous equation in physics) is equal to the gravitational potential energy. The only thing you don't know is the mass of the object that is raised to 96m.

um...

so it's 1/2mv^2 = mgh?
how would i get v?

If i use conservation of energy, then I don't have to use E=mc^2?

:confused:

You use mc^2=Mgh. mc^2 is still energy.

hibiscus23 said:
so it's 1/2mv^2

Is that the most famous equation in all of physics?

Nooooooo

C'mon, think Einstein.

thanks...i actually realized how to do it when i looked through the chapter again...

1. How does conservation of energy apply to relativity?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This applies to relativity as well, meaning that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, even when considering the effects of relativity.

2. Can energy be converted into matter according to the theory of relativity?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy and matter are interchangeable. This means that energy can be converted into matter and vice versa, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

3. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence relate to conservation of energy in relativity?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's equation E=mc^2, is directly related to the principle of conservation of energy in relativity. This equation shows that mass and energy are two different forms of the same thing, and they can be converted into each other while still maintaining the overall conservation of energy.

4. Does relativity affect the way energy is conserved in a system?

Yes, the theory of relativity does have an impact on the way energy is conserved in a system. This is because relativity considers the effects of gravity and the relationship between time and space, which can affect the way energy is measured and conserved.

5. How does the conservation of energy in relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The principle of conservation of energy in relativity is a fundamental concept in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of matter and energy in various systems, and it has played a crucial role in the development of modern physics and our understanding of the cosmos.