International Student for Medical Schools

In summary, a student from Mauritius is finishing high school and planning to study medicine abroad due to lack of facilities in their home country. They are preparing for the Cambridge Higher School Certificate exams with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects and Biology and General Paper as subsidiary subjects. The student is also relying on scholarships to fund their studies and is seeking information on how to apply to good universities in the US, Europe, or Australia where scholarships are available. They are also taking the SAT and TOEFL exams and are wondering if there are any other international exams they should take. They are specifically interested in studying in the US and are seeking advice on where to start.
Kushal
hi, I'm from the island of mauritius, and I'm finishing high school this year, and should start planning for uni asap. i wish to do medicine, but not here, because we don't have all te facilities.

i am doing the cambridge, higher school certificate exams, with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects, and Biology and General Paper as Subsidiary subjects.

and also, i ain't got a fortune to pay for my studies, so I'm relying on scholarships.

i just wish to know the detailed steps i should take to get into any good uni in the US, europe or australia, where scholarships are available. and i think that in some countries. like the US, medical education is very different. and I'm also doing SAT and TOEFL. which other international exam i should take?

thanks a lot, i really need these informations.

kushal

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that students in Australia and Europe apply to medical school as they are finishing high school while students in the US and Canada apply to medical school during/after undergrad.

The best place to look for scholarships for undergraduate study is in your home country. Most countries don't give undergraduate scholarships to foreign students... (unless you want to study in the US and you can throw a ball really hard or run really fast).

ok, say i want to go to the US, where should i start? any help please?

thnks

1. What are the requirements for international students to attend medical school?

The requirements for international students to attend medical school vary depending on the country and specific school. However, common requirements include a strong academic background, proficiency in the language of instruction, completion of pre-medical coursework, and a high score on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).

2. Are international students eligible for financial aid and scholarships?

Yes, some medical schools offer financial aid and scholarships to international students. However, the availability and amount of aid may vary. It is important to research and apply for scholarships specifically for international students.

3. Will I be able to practice medicine in my home country after attending medical school abroad?

The ability to practice medicine in your home country after attending medical school abroad depends on the regulations and requirements of your home country. Some countries may require additional exams or training before allowing you to practice, while others may have agreements in place that recognize certain medical qualifications from other countries.

4. Can I transfer credits from a medical school in another country to a school in the United States?

Transferring credits from a medical school in another country to a school in the United States is not a straightforward process. Each medical school has its own policies and procedures for transferring credits, and the decision ultimately lies with the receiving school. It is best to contact the specific medical schools you are interested in to inquire about their transfer policies.

5. Are international students required to take the USMLE to practice medicine in the United States?

Yes, international students who plan to practice medicine in the United States are required to take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). This exam is divided into three parts and assesses a student's ability to apply medical knowledge, skills, and principles in clinical settings. Passing the USMLE is a requirement for licensure in most US states.