What is the right field to pursue?

• Thread starter Trimethop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the individual is a first year student pursuing an Accounting degree but is not enjoying it due to its heavy emphasis on communication and extracurricular involvement, which is challenging for their shy personality. They are considering switching to a more math-focused field such as Mathematical Finance or Actuarial Science, but are unsure if it is worth wasting a year of their life. The individual also finds accounting courses boring and is concerned about the importance of communication and involvement in the industry. They are seeking advice on choosing a career path that aligns with their interests and strengths.
Trimethop
Just to give a little background information I am a first year
student enrolled for an Accounting degree. The problem is, I am not
liking it very much and ontop of that, it took me this long at the
current stage into my life to figure out that such a profession
lends heavily on communication and extracirricular involvement.
(This is a problem as I am very shy).

I have been thinking of other alternative fields and possible
lucrative careers that may spark a greater interest as well as
mabey escape this involvement issue. Math has always been a very
interesting for me and a strength as well so I am looking into
possible careers and branches such as Mathematical finance or
Actuarial Science. I guess my real question is, should I waste a year of my life
switching into mathematical finance (a very narrow and specialized
field) or Actuarial Science? The two problems with accounting for me is really the courses. I
find most of the Accounting classes very boring and Auditing/taxation class makes me really tired .The second problem I
guess is the the fact that employers care more about your involvement and communication skills than your grades. (Is this
true for other fields like physics/math if your working in industry?)

Should I switch into something more "heavy" on mathematics as I
have a greater interest in it? Or just ride it out with this Business Degree.
I am kind of in a dilemma at this point so any help will be

appreciated. Thanks! How did you guys know what to pursue and follow?

Physics news on Phys.org
want something heavy on mathematics and still within the commerce family? do Economics... there are heaps of statistics stuffs. And it is NOT going to be easy either...as far as I was told.

I cannot provide specific career advice, but I can offer some general guidance.

Firstly, it is important to pursue a field that you are truly interested in and passionate about. This will not only make your work more enjoyable, but it will also lead to better performance and success in your chosen career.

It is also important to consider your strengths and skills. If math is a strength for you and something you enjoy, then pursuing a career in a field that heavily utilizes math, such as mathematical finance or actuarial science, may be a good fit for you.

However, it is also important to consider the practicality and job market demand for your chosen field. Mathematical finance and actuarial science are both specialized fields, so it may be more difficult to find job opportunities compared to a broader field like accounting. It is important to thoroughly research the job market and potential career opportunities in your desired field before making a decision.

As for your concerns about communication and extracurricular involvement, these skills are important in any field, not just accounting. In fact, strong communication and teamwork skills are highly valued in the scientific community as well. It is important to work on developing these skills, regardless of your chosen field.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to switch into a more math-heavy field or stick with your business degree is a personal one. It may be helpful to speak with a career counselor or someone in a field you are interested in to gain more insight and advice. And remember, it is never too late to make a career change if you find that your current path is not fulfilling. Good luck!

1. What are the top fields in demand for scientists?

Currently, the top fields in demand for scientists include computer science, data science, biotechnology, environmental science, and neuroscience.

2. How do I choose the right field to pursue?

Choosing the right field to pursue can be a personal decision based on your interests, skills, and career goals. It is important to research different fields, talk to professionals in those fields, and consider your strengths and passions before making a decision.

3. What is the job outlook for different scientific fields?

The job outlook for different scientific fields varies, but overall, the field of science is expected to see steady growth in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the field of science is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

4. How important is education in pursuing a career in science?

Education is crucial in pursuing a career in science. Most scientific fields require at least a bachelor's degree, and many positions may require a master's or doctoral degree. Additionally, continuing education and staying updated on the latest research and technology is essential in the constantly evolving field of science.

5. Are there opportunities to specialize within a scientific field?

Yes, there are many opportunities to specialize within a scientific field. For example, within the field of biology, there are various subfields such as genetics, ecology, and microbiology. Specializing in a specific area can allow for a deeper understanding and expertise in that particular subject.