Capacitance Experiment: Determining Time Constant and V_0 Value

In summary, the conversation was about determining the capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit with a specific resistor R. The time constant (t) is equal to RC and the value of V across the capacitor at t is 0.63(V_0). However, the initial voltage V_0 was not specified in the guide, causing confusion and potential errors in the experiment. The value of V_0 is the initial voltage on the capacitor before it was connected to the resistor and usually equals the voltage of the charging battery. In order to calculate the capacitance, the time and resistance must be known. The difficulty in obtaining the capacitance was due to wanting to capture 3dB at 1MHz, which is the frequency of the
Joza
I was doing an experiment to determine the capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit with a particular resistor R. This was also set up to an oscillator and oscillscope.

Now t=RC, where t is the time constant. At a time of t, the value of V across the capacitor is .63(V_0), says my guide. So if I know V_0, I could workout out the time constant t, and hence the capacitance.

But what is V_0? The guide does not state. I am confused, and think I may have done the experiment wrong. I have an averaged value of the max V across the capacitor and the time it took to reachhis value if that's any help...

Is this value of V_0?

Physics news on Phys.org
V_0 is the initial voltage on the capacitor before it was connected to the resistor.
It usually equals the voltage of the charging battery.

v_0 is the maximum value of potential difference which can which can occur between theplates of the capacitor and is equal to the EMF of the battery

Please help if you have experienced about capacitance for ARINC 429 signal?

Please help if you have experienced about capacitance for ARINC 429 signal? this signal taken time 1us for charge 63%.

have u measured the resistance of the resistor used?

resistance 5 ohm.

then u're good to go, u knew all the things needed, the time, the resistance, what made it difficult to get C?

I known to calculated from t=rc, but I want what capacitance to capture 3dB at 1 MHZ.

Thanks,
I have plans to filter the ARINC 429 data lines.
Note: the ARINC 429 lines can have a pulse rise time as short at 1us. This translates to an effective signal on the order of 1MHz. The pi filter 3dB frequency has to be above the ARINC 429 frequency (ARINC 429 have frequency is 1Mhz).

V_0 is the final voltage. You'll need to set the time scale on the oscilloscope so that you can see what the value is.

The capacitor voltage charges from 0V initially to V_0 eventually. The time to go from 0V to 0.63V is the RC time constant.

edit added:
Just saw the date on the original post. Oops!

1. What is the purpose of the Capacitance Experiment?

The purpose of the Capacitance Experiment is to determine the time constant and V_0 value of a circuit by measuring the charge and discharge of a capacitor.

2. How is the time constant calculated in this experiment?

The time constant is calculated by dividing the resistance (R) of the circuit by the capacitance (C), which is represented by the equation τ = RC.

3. What is V_0 and why is it important to measure?

V_0, also known as the initial voltage, is the voltage of the capacitor at the beginning of the charge/discharge process. It is important to measure because it helps determine the overall behavior of the circuit and can be used to calculate other variables such as the time constant.

4. What materials are needed for the Capacitance Experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment typically include a capacitor, resistor, power source, voltmeter, and a switch. Additional materials may also be required depending on the specific setup of the experiment.

5. What are some potential sources of error in the Capacitance Experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment may include inaccuracies in measuring equipment, fluctuations in the power source, and external factors such as temperature changes. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them to minimize these errors.