Integration of Inverse of f(x)

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem related to the integration of the inverse of a function. There were some doubts about whether to use partial fractions or factorization, and ultimately the correct solution involved both methods. The conversation also touched upon solving a differential equation using the method for linear differential equations. The solution involved finding the integrating factor and using it to find the solution. There was also some discussion about the difficulty of evaluating the error function in the solution. Finally, there was a reminder about not making consecutive posts and keeping the forum clean.
JayKo
[SOLVED] Integration of Inverse of f(x)

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}}[/tex] dy =

[tex]\frac{1}{4y^{3}-18y^{2}+10y}[/tex](ln|[tex]{y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}}[/tex]|)is this correct way or doing it? thanks. i was a bit of confuse, if i should do it the above or partial fraction the denominator it? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, factorise and then partial fractions is ok

wait a minutes,i show my partial fraction. please point out where gone wrong ;) thanks

firstly you can further factorise y^2-6y+5

[tex]\frac{1}{y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{1}{y^{2}(y^{2}-6y+5)}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{1}{y^{2}(y-1)(y-5)}[/tex]

So, by Partial fraction, is this correct?

[tex]\frac{1}{y^{2}(y-1)(y-5)}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{A}{y}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{B}{y^{2}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{C}{y-1}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{D}{y-5}[/tex]

and then, by comparing coefficient of y^3, y^2, y.

(A+C+D){y^{3}}=0
(-6A+B-5C-D){y^{2}}=0
(5A-6B)y=0
answer is A=6/25, B=1/5, C=3/10. D=-87/50.

but doubt my answer. anyone can point out?thanks

Last edited:
mjsd said:
firstly you can further factorise y^2-6y+5

i know, is just that i m slow using teX, please gimme a min.thanks

I can tell you the answer...
:smile:

no need use latex for such simple expression

most likely you have treated the y^2 bit incorrectly

Last edited:
after i substitute A,B,C,and D.

i can get back my original 1/f(x)

looks ok so far

mjsd said:
I can tell you the answer...
:smile:

no need use latex for such simple expression

most likely you have treated the y^2 bit incorrectly

lol, i uses teX as its more tidy, i go n check the y^2 bit now.thanks.

FYI I've got
A=6/25
B=1/5
C=-1/4
D=1/100

mjsd said:
looks ok so far

if so, then
[tex]\frac{1}{y^{2}(y-1)(y-5)}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{6}{25y}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{5y^{2}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{3}{10(y-1)}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{87}{50(y-5}[/tex]

Last edited:
mjsd said:
FYI I've got
A=6/25
B=1/5
C=-1/4
D=1/100

OOops,gimme a minute,i recheck :)

mjsd said:
FYI I've got
A=6/25
B=1/5
C=-1/4
D=1/100

you are right! :D :D :D thanks a lot.for pointing it out !:D

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}}[/tex] dy =

6/25(ln|y|)-1/4(ln|y-1|)+1/100(ln|y-5|)-1/(5y). right?

but this problem is actually make y the subject in this equation, how to go about it further?
[tex]\int\frac{1}{y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}}[/tex] dy = [tex]\int\[/tex] dtthe original question is [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}[/tex] find y(t).if [tex]\int\frac{1}{y^{4}-6y^{3}+5y^{2}}[/tex] dy =

6/25(ln|y|)-1/4(ln|y-1|)+1/100(ln|y-5|)-1/(5y)
then i m stuck to make y the subject. anyone to point out the mistake.thanks

Last edited:
anyone, can show me the right way?

another differential eq. question.

y'=1+xy find y. how to go about it. i m clueless
my method of multiply dx to (1+xy) doesn't work in this case.

You can solve this by the solution for Linear Differential equation. The equation you have is:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = 1 + xy
[/tex]

which can be written as:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} + y(-x) = 1
[/tex]

which is similar to:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} + yP = Q
[/tex]

Here, [itex]P = (-x); Q = 1[/itex]

So, you have:

[tex]
I.F = e^{\int (-x)dx}
[/tex]
[tex]
I.F = e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}
[/tex]

And hence, your solution is given by:

[tex]
ye^{\frac{-x^2}{2}} = \int (1)e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx + C
[/tex]

But, it's going to be a real pain with this:

[tex]
\int e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx
[/tex]

a method to which i can't think of right now. Maybe there's some other way..

Last edited:
That integral evaluates to the error function. No "method" for that one, you just have to know it. Haven't checked the rest of your post though, so not sure if the rest of your solution is right.

rohanprabhu said:
You can solve this by the solution for Linear Differential equation. The equation you have is:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = 1 + xy
[/tex]

which can be written as:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} + y(-x) = 1
[/tex]

which is similar to:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} + yP = Q
[/tex]

Here, [itex]P = (-x); Q = 1[/itex]

So, you have:

[tex]
I.F = e^{\int (-x)dx}
[/tex]
[tex]
I.F = e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}
[/tex]

And hence, your solution is given by:

[tex]
ye^{\frac{-x^2}{2}} = \int (1)e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx + C
[/tex]

But, it's going to be a real pain with this:

[tex]
\int e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}dx
[/tex]

a method to which i can't think of right now. Maybe there's some other way..
great, this is something new to me, just started my linear algebra course.thanks.will study your solution

sorry, I shouldn't have marked your post as "solved" so early yesterday.

Gib Z said:
That integral evaluates to the error function. No "method" for that one, you just have to know it. Haven't checked the rest of your post though, so not sure if the rest of your solution is right.

thank for pointing it out. ;)

mjsd said:
sorry, I shouldn't have marked your post as "solved" so early yesterday.

is alright, i was thinking of tackle the question part by part. tomorrow is my tutorial lesson, will find out more with tutor. thanks

JayKo said:
great, this is something new to me, just started my linear algebra course.thanks.will study your solution

np. however, as I've seen in your posts... try not to make consecutive posts in a discussion. i.e. try to put all the thing u want to say once in one post only. When someone replies to that post, then go ahead and make a new post in reply. This just keeps the forum clean. No offense.

rohanprabhu said:
np. however, as I've seen in your posts... try not to make consecutive posts in a discussion. i.e. try to put all the thing u want to say once in one post only. When someone replies to that post, then go ahead and make a new post in reply. This just keeps the forum clean. No offense.

i see, thanks for the advise.will take note.thanks for your effort in solving it as well

1. What is the purpose of integrating the inverse of a function?

The purpose of integrating the inverse of a function is to find the original function from its derivative. This can be useful in solving problems involving rate of change or finding the total change of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is the integration of inverse of f(x) different from regular integration?

The integration of inverse of f(x) is essentially the reverse process of regular integration. It involves finding the original function from its derivative, rather than finding the derivative of a given function.

3. Can any function be integrated using the inverse function method?

No, not all functions can be integrated using the inverse function method. The function must have an inverse that is also differentiable in order for this method to be applicable.

4. What are some common techniques used in integrating the inverse of a function?

Some common techniques used in integrating the inverse of a function include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It ultimately depends on the specific function and its inverse.

5. How can the integration of inverse of f(x) be applied in real life situations?

The integration of inverse of f(x) can be applied in various real life situations, such as in physics when calculating displacement from velocity or in economics when finding the original demand function from the marginal revenue function. It can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.