Magnetic Field due to a current loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field on the axis of a current loop, taking into account the current, radius, and distance from the loop. The correct equation is provided and the solution is calculated as 0.000031 T. It is noted that the online system may require the answer to be in scientific notation.
snoweangel27
[SOLVED] Magnetic Field due to a current loop

Homework Statement

A single loop of wire of radius 3 cm carries a current of 2.6 A. What is the magnitude of B on the axis of the loop at 2 cm?

Homework Equations

B=[tex]\mu[/tex]/(4[tex]\pi[/tex]) * 2[tex]\pi[/tex](R^2)*I/(z^2+R^2)^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 2.6 A
R = .03 m
z = .02m

I calculate .000031 T
It should just be a simple matter of plugging in numbers, but every time I use this equation it ends up being wrong. If anyone could tell me what I might be doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. Why do you think it's wrong?

It is computerized homework, so when I put in the answer that I calculated it keeps telling me that it is wrong. I have done the same thing with multiple different distances, and they all come up wrong, so I believe that it is something that I am doing, I am just not sure what

Those online systems can be flaky. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Your equation is correct and your answer is correct.

Things to check: Are you sure they want the answer in Teslas? How many sig figs does the system like?

I finally figured it out. It turns out that the system decided it wanted it in scientific notation. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible area around a magnet or electric current where the magnetic force is exerted on other objects.

2. What is a current loop?

A current loop refers to a closed circuit where an electric current flows in a circular path.

3. How is a magnetic field created by a current loop?

A magnetic field is created by a current loop when the electric current in the loop causes electrons to move, creating a circular flow of charged particles. This flow of charge creates a magnetic field around the loop.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field created by a current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field created by a current loop is affected by the magnitude of the electric current, the distance from the loop, and the number of turns in the loop.

5. What is the direction of the magnetic field created by a current loop?

The direction of the magnetic field created by a current loop is determined by the direction of the flow of current. The magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the loop, with the direction of the field being clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the direction of the current.