Help needed for mercury seal

In summary, the conversation revolved around the design of a high RPM generator and the need for information on a mercury seal to establish contact between the rotor and stator. Alternatives such as carbon seal and magnetic oil rotary shaft seals were suggested. Additionally, mercotac was mentioned as an option for passing electrical connections to the shaft. The use of a mercury seal in FLOWSERVE's Byron-Jackson Type H motors for deep water well applications was also brought up as a potential solution.
kumar_raj78
Hi,

While designing a high RPM generator i need some information on mercury seal. Actually i want to establish contact between rotor(25k to 30k RPM) and stator. Anybody can suggest me any other alternatives.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't say I have ever heard of a mercury seal. How about some kind of carbon seal?

If you want to seal the rotating shaft (eg passing into a vacuum) you can use magnetic oil rotary shaft seals, all the usual vacuum system makers sell them.

If you mean to pass electrical connections to the shaft, mercotac make mercury wetted slip rings.

Submersible Motor Seal

FLOWSERVE uses a mercury seal in its Byron-Jackson Type H motors. The motor is for deep water well applications. You may want to contact FLOWSERVE for more information.

1. What is a mercury seal?

A mercury seal, also known as a mercury joint, is a type of seal used in scientific equipment to prevent leakage of mercury or other liquids. It consists of a glass tube filled with mercury, which creates a liquid barrier to block any leaks.

2. Why is help needed for mercury seal?

Help may be needed for mercury seal if it is damaged, broken, or improperly installed. Mercury is a toxic substance that can be harmful to human health and the environment, so proper care must be taken when handling and maintaining mercury seals.

3. How do you fix a damaged mercury seal?

If a mercury seal is damaged, it is important to seek help from a trained professional. Attempting to fix a damaged mercury seal yourself can be dangerous and may result in further damage or exposure to mercury. A professional can safely replace the damaged seal and ensure that it is properly installed.

4. Are there alternatives to using a mercury seal?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a mercury seal. Some scientific equipment may use alternative sealing methods such as O-ring seals or vacuum seals. These alternatives should be considered if the handling and disposal of mercury is a concern.

5. How should a mercury seal be disposed of?

Mercury seals should be disposed of in accordance with local and federal regulations. In most cases, they should be brought to a hazardous waste disposal facility. It is important to never pour mercury down the drain or dispose of it in regular trash, as this can contaminate the environment and harm human health.