Another fresh perspective guidence request

In summary, this person is trying to find equations to help them play with an idea they've had for a while and they are unqualified math-wise. They want advice on what to do next.
Vanir
Hi all. Let me first mention I am academically way out of my depth at the forum.

What I wanted to find out was which equations I need to study to play with an idea I've had for a while now, related to what appears to be a recent popular movement into 'the unified field theory through re-examination of GR' camp.

I've been active on several informal sci forums and roughly my abstracts seem to be plausible. However my math is...well year 11 level. I need to be shown the equations I need to use.

I'm just trying to redefine the gravitational field as a field of time dilation. It's probably been done I realize, just a link would be fine.

I also wanted to know what the math looked like for the Black Hole models but I will have a hunt through that forum in case they're there. You know, the equation used to tell you what happens beyond the Chandrasekhar limit and so forth, not just the pretty picture with "singularity here" written in red crayon.

Thank you very much. Love the forums by the way, as unqualified as I am to be here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er there's a massive amount of information to learn before you could start to tackle such a huge question. I'm not sure one equation is going to cover it. I mean Einstein tried and failed to produce a GUT or a TOE, and he wasn't the first or the last, so I think you can see what you are up against.

Suffice to say though, If you're looking for gravitational equations then you can't go far wrong with general relativity, and any thing on black holes. There's no point in setting out any of those equations though because they really are only an infinitessimally small part of the pie. My advice, do a degree in Physics and then a PhD in theoretical physics, particularly related to the theories of QM and GR. :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Try here, and then try asking a question here is my advice in the meantime. :smile:

FYI the qualifications to join PF required are to be alive and breathing, and desirable is to have an interest in science and or maths.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Not to wear my heart on my sleeve but I'm afraid I've almost missed the boat for that one. I was a homeless kid, fundamentalist hostels, later destitution, sort of tried to start coming back later in my twenties. I'm just a minimum wage worker.

But I am writing a series of books about World War Two, done tons of research on that. A non-fiction about aircraft, because well I got right into the fluid drive coupling used on Daimler-Benz superchargers and the true nature of the Focke Wulf BMW 801 Läderduckerhöher injection system. And a fiction one about Aussie pilots in New Guinea, though only the plot and dialogue should be fiction is my philosophy. When in flight Kittyhawk pilots should alter carb heat, prop pitch, throttle and trim settings. I have at least a couple of flying hours from cadet days back in school.

Another was sci fi but I wanted more sci fi and less space opera as it were. Like the way Carl Sagan had correspondance with Kip Thorne I have heard?
I wanted to get a handle on this abstract conception I had of an interchangeability between gravitation and time dilation, that spacetime is a high energy state by definition. Presumably then in a closed system without mass-energy spacetime would experience a "runaway effect" to coin a speculation, and the presence of mass-energy dilates this to what we can perceive as passing time, the gravitational field as so on. It defines the physical universe. This at singularities, I should think only among Black Holes (as only gravitational acceleration could propose a vessel capable of exceeding c), would then I guess generate of quantum field to produce virtual particles in Brownian motion...I don't know I get way out of left field about there. Fuzzy stars I think.

I'm on the hunt for fuzzy star models. I should get familiar with all the threads in the astrophysics and other sections at any rate, thanks for the pointer.

Ah I see. Well I'd start in the forum given there by asking a relevant science fiction question, explain what you are looking for, and I'm sure they'll be able to explain the intricacies of black holes, quantum mechanically and relativity wise. It can't hurt, even if they move it back to GD, it'll probably get the attention of the experts here.

I'd try the same for planes in the engineering section here https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101, there are plenty of airheads in there, which will be delighted to discuss the subject of any sorts of planes.

It's never too late, I'm 35 and I start a degree in physics next year. I don't have to pay for it either, although I probably will if I have enough money saved, so like you I'm a working class slob, doing mind numbing jobs, but with an eye on improving myself.

Last edited:
I've been active on several informal sci forums and roughly my abstracts seem to be plausible. However my math is...well year 11 level. I need to be shown the equations I need to use.

[itex] G_{uv} = 8\pi T_{uv} [/tex]

[tex] G_{uv} = \frac{8\pi G}{c^4}T_{uv} \equiv G_{\mu\nu} = 8\pi T_{\mu\nu},\;\;\;(G=c=1)[/tex]

Which is kind of useless if you don't know what it means in terms of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations"

And:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit"

And for a way of using gravity to exceed c: Heim Theory:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html"

It's a little speculatory but it's a good scientific hypothesis of how to achieve warp drive by converting photons into gravtions and using them to propel a craft. If you could unify all the forces it follows that given enough energy you can readilly convert between each force carrier given the right conditions and the proviso that gravitons and the Higg's Boson as mediators of gravity actually exist. If you can use gravity to bend space enough then it should be possible to literally tear space a new hole and remove yourself from normal space. Of course this is Sci Fi but it sounds like what you are looking for.

Sadly there was a good summation of the theory and a proposal sent to NASA on this forum , in a single paper, but as with most physics papers that are out there they seem to have a very short life where they are available to the general public, so there is a rather longer more detailed paper here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=81824

Here's an overview with way too much maths for most people. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "fresh perspective guidance request"?

A fresh perspective guidance request is a request for advice or guidance on a particular topic or problem, with the goal of gaining a new or different perspective on the issue.

2. Why is it important to seek fresh perspectives?

Seeking fresh perspectives can help broaden your understanding of a topic or problem, and can lead to new insights and solutions that you may not have considered before. It can also help challenge your assumptions and biases, leading to more well-rounded and informed decisions.

3. How can I go about finding fresh perspectives?

Some ways to find fresh perspectives include talking to people with different backgrounds or experiences, reading diverse perspectives on the topic, and actively seeking out new and different information sources.

4. What are some potential benefits of seeking fresh perspectives?

Some potential benefits of seeking fresh perspectives include improved problem-solving abilities, increased creativity and innovation, and better decision-making skills. It can also lead to a greater understanding and appreciation of diverse viewpoints.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to seeking fresh perspectives?

While seeking fresh perspectives can be beneficial, it's important to also consider potential drawbacks. For example, it may take more time and effort to gather and consider multiple perspectives, and there is always the risk of being overwhelmed by too much information. It's also important to critically evaluate the validity and credibility of different perspectives.