Checking Some Complex Limits [SOLVED]

In summary, the task was to find the limit of two functions at given points or explain why it does not exist. For the first function, it was determined that the limit does not exist. For the second function, it was initially thought to be real valued but upon considering the absolute value, it was shown to converge to zero. It was also noted that the function is not differentiable at the given point, but this is not an issue when taking a limit. It was mentioned that the statement "the limit is infinity" is just another way of saying it does not exist in a certain way.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Checking Some Complex Limits

Homework Statement
Find the limit of each function at the given point or explain why it does not exist.

(a) f(z) = (1 - I am z)-1 at 8 + i
(b) f(z) = (z - 2) log |z - 2| at 2

The attempt at a solution
(a) f(z) is a real valued function and it seems to me that it approaches infinity as z approaches 8 + i. The book states the limit doesn't exist. I don't get it.

(b) This one is also real valued. Can I safely apply l'Hospital's rule? I'm worried because of log |z - 2|. I know |z - 2| is not differentiable at 2 but since I'm taking a limit, I need not worry right? I get that the limit is 0. Is there another way to evaluate the limit without l'Hospital's rule or using power series?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saying that the limit is infinity is just saying that it doesn't exist in a certain way. b) is not real valued. But if you consider the absolute value of f(z) you should be able to show that it converges to zero. That |z-2| is not differentiable at zero is not a problem, yes, because you are taking a limit. If |f(z)|->0 then f(z)->0.

Dick said:
Saying that the limit is infinity is just saying that it doesn't exist in a certain way.

Hmm...I was thinking that a limit doesn't exist in the sense of say cos x as x -> infinity.

b) is not real valued.

Right. I ignored the (z - 2). Sorry

But if you consider the absolute value of f(z) you should be able to show that it converges to zero. That |z-2| is not differentiable at zero is not a problem, yes, because you are taking a limit. If |f(z)|->0 then f(z)->0.

According to my book, it says that if a sequence zn converges then so does |zn|, but that the converse is generally false. I would imagine that this also holds for functions so your last statement is necessarily true.

It's certainly false that |f(z)|->L implies f(z)->L. It is not false if L is zero. Think about it.

I got it know. Thank you for the insight.

1. What is the definition of a complex limit?

A complex limit is the value that a function approaches as the input variable approaches a specific complex number. It is similar to the definition of a real limit, but instead of approaching a real number, the function approaches a complex number.

2. How is a complex limit calculated?

A complex limit is calculated by manipulating the function algebraically and then evaluating the limit as the input variable approaches the desired complex number. This may involve factoring, simplifying, or using other mathematical techniques.

3. What is the difference between a real limit and a complex limit?

The main difference between a real limit and a complex limit is the type of number that the function approaches. A real limit approaches a real number, while a complex limit approaches a complex number. Additionally, complex limits may have multiple possible values due to the presence of complex roots.

4. When should complex limits be used?

Complex limits are typically used when working with complex functions or in situations where the output of a function involves complex numbers. They are also commonly used in the field of complex analysis, which studies functions that map complex numbers to other complex numbers.

5. What are some common methods for evaluating complex limits?

Some common methods for evaluating complex limits include algebraic manipulation, factoring, using trigonometric identities, and L'Hopital's rule. Additionally, knowledge of the properties of complex numbers and how they behave in limits can also be helpful in evaluating complex limits.