I need a few formula's- High School Physics on Work/Energy etc

In summary, the formulas for calculating work, kinetic energy, potential energy, and power in physics are as follows: W = F x d, KE = 1/2 x m x v^2, PE = m x g x h, and P = W/t. It is important to note that work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while energy is the ability to do work. Both work and energy are measured in joules (J).
nicholz
Hi guys.

I need a few equations to complete a table.

I am given numbers for:
Fg (N)
h (m)
Fa (N)
d(m)

and I need to find:
Work Output (J)
Work Input (J)
Effeciency

If anyone has those three equations I could use it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF nicholz,

We need some idea of what your talking about first. Secondly, the forum guidelines say that you need to show some working and/or thoughts before we can assists you. So what ideas do you have? Have you looked at your class notes?

Hello, I am happy to help you with your table. In order to calculate the work output, work input, and efficiency, we will need to use the following formulas:

1. Work Output (J) = Fg (N) * h (m)
This formula represents the amount of work done by an object due to the force of gravity (Fg) acting over a certain height (h).

2. Work Input (J) = Fa (N) * d (m)
This formula represents the amount of work done on an object by an external force (Fa) over a certain distance (d).

3. Efficiency = (Work Output / Work Input) * 100%
This formula represents the efficiency of a system, which is the ratio of the work output to the work input, expressed as a percentage.

I hope these equations help you complete your table. Remember to always double-check your units and use the correct values for each variable in the equations. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your work!

1. What is the formula for calculating work in physics?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

2. How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 x m x v2, where KE represents kinetic energy, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

3. What is the formula for potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = m x g x h, where PE represents potential energy, m represents mass, g represents gravitational acceleration, and h represents height.

4. How do you calculate power in physics?

The formula for calculating power is P = W/t, where P represents power, W represents work, and t represents time.

5. What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while energy is the ability to do work. Work is measured in joules (J) and energy is measured in joules as well.