Interaction of a Current Loop with a Magnetic Field

In summary, the question is asking for the net torque about the vertical axis of a current loop with a current of 0.500A and a magnetic field of 0.300T, positioned at an initial angle of 30 degrees. The equation used is shown in the provided link, and the solution is 1.03*10^-8 N*m. Help is needed to confirm the solution.
HELLO11

Homework Statement

Assume that the current flowing into the loop is 0.500A . If the magnitude of the magnetic field is 0.300 T, what is torque , the net torque about the vertical axis of the current loop due to the interaction of the current with the magnetic field?

the loop is initially positioned at (theta)=30 degrees

Homework Equations

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk319/bigcurly_09/render4.gif

i know with the sin i have to subtract 90- theta

The Attempt at a Solution

When i plug in all the numbers correctly i get 1.03*10^-8

Can anyone help me i am on my last try. The answer must be in N*m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me?

Please provide the complete statement of the problem exactly as it was given. (A diagram would be helpful; lacking that, describe the direction of magnetic field compared to the orientation of the current loop.)

1. How does a current loop interact with a magnetic field?

When a current-carrying loop is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

2. What factors affect the strength of the interaction between a current loop and a magnetic field?

The strength of the interaction between a current loop and a magnetic field depends on the magnitude of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the geometry of the loop. For example, increasing the current or the magnetic field strength will increase the force experienced by the loop.

3. How does the orientation of the current loop affect its interaction with a magnetic field?

The orientation of the current loop plays a crucial role in its interaction with a magnetic field. When the loop is parallel to the magnetic field, there is no force exerted on it. However, when the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field, it experiences the maximum force.

4. What is the significance of the torque experienced by a current loop in a magnetic field?

The torque experienced by a current loop in a magnetic field is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric motors and generators. This torque is responsible for the rotational motion of the loop, which can be harnessed to produce mechanical work or convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. How is the interaction between a current loop and a magnetic field related to electromagnetic induction?

The interaction between a current loop and a magnetic field is related to electromagnetic induction, which is the process of generating an electric current by moving a conductor through a magnetic field. This principle is used in devices such as generators and transformers, where the changing magnetic field induces a current in a nearby loop of wire.