Proof of Multiplicative Inverses of Coprime Numbers via Euclidean Algorithm

In summary, the conversation was about proving that coprime numbers always have multiplicative inverses modulo each other using the Euclidean algorithm. The person asking the question presented a proof using Fermat's little theorem, but there were some issues with the proof that were pointed out by the expert. The expert also mentioned that the proof did not directly address the theorem and suggested finding a different approach to prove it.
miccol999
Hi
I am currently studying Information Theory. Could I please have anyone's ideas on the following question:

Using the Euclidean algorithm, show that coprime numbers always have multiplicative inverses modulo each other.

I tried the following proof, using Fermat's little theorem, let me know what you think.

Let
{a,2a,...,(n-1)a}={1,2,...,(n-1)}(mod n)
Then
(n-1)! a^(n-1)=(n-1)! (mod n)
and
a^(n-1)=1 (mod n)

any improvements/suggestions are very welcome! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I see these problems:

First, you introduce new variables without explanation: a and n. If they are supposed to be an arbitrary pair of coprime numbers, then you should say something like that.

{a,2a,...,(n-1)a}={1,2,...,(n-1)}(mod n)
How do you know that? The most obvious proof requires you to already know that a is invertible mod n.

Then
(n-1)! a^(n-1)=(n-1)! (mod n)
and
a^(n-1)=1 (mod n)
You cannot divide by (n-1)! unless you already know it's invertible. And you cannot prove it's invertible -- for most n it's actually equivalent to zero mod n

And finally, you've made no remark about why this should have anything to do with the theorem you were trying to prove.

Using the Euclidean algorithm, show that coprime numbers always have multiplicative inverses modulo each other.
But the most serious problem is that you aren't even doing the problem you were asked to do.

Last edited:
ok then, that proves that I am completely lost! how would you prove this theorem?

What is the Euclidean algorithm?

The Euclidean algorithm is a method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers. It involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until a remainder of 0 is obtained. The last nonzero remainder is the GCD of the two numbers.

How does the Euclidean algorithm relate to finding multiplicative inverses of coprime numbers?

The Euclidean algorithm can be used to find the multiplicative inverse of a number in a finite field. If two numbers are coprime, their GCD is 1, and the algorithm can be used to find a linear combination of the two numbers that equals 1. This linear combination can then be used as the multiplicative inverse in the finite field.

What are coprime numbers?

Coprime numbers are numbers that have no common factors other than 1. In other words, their GCD is equal to 1. For example, 6 and 7 are coprime because their GCD is 1, but 6 and 8 are not coprime because their GCD is 2.

How is the multiplicative inverse of a number defined in a finite field?

In a finite field, the multiplicative inverse of a number is another number that, when multiplied by the original number, equals 1. This can be written as a fraction, where the numerator is the multiplicative inverse and the denominator is the original number. For example, in the finite field of integers modulo 7, the multiplicative inverse of 3 would be 5, because 3*5=15=1 (mod 7).

Can the Euclidean algorithm be used to find the multiplicative inverse of any two coprime numbers?

Yes, the Euclidean algorithm can be used to find the multiplicative inverse of any two coprime numbers. This is because the algorithm always results in a linear combination of the two numbers that equals 1, which is the definition of a multiplicative inverse. However, it is important to note that the numbers must be coprime for the algorithm to work.