What are some examples of systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians?

In summary, a time dependant Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a system over time. It differs from a time-independent Hamiltonian by including a time variable in its equation, allowing for the consideration of changing systems. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, used to calculate the evolution of a quantum state and has practical applications in various fields. While it can be solved analytically in some cases, it is usually solved numerically due to its complexity.
diegzumillo
Hi all!
I'm starting to study the time evolution operator, and now i came up with this objective... i need a time dependant hamiltonian! since no fundamental interaction is time dependent i need to think of a system in such a configuration that i have a time dependency on H.
Anyway, if anyone has any idea i'd be very happy to discuss them! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Not fundamental, but effective: An electron in a rotating magnetic field:
[tex]\mathbf{B}(t) = sin(\omega t) \mathbf{x} + \cos(\omega t) \mathbf{y}[/tex]

Hello! It's great to hear that you are studying the time evolution operator. As you mentioned, it is true that no fundamental interaction is time dependent. However, there are systems in which the Hamiltonian can vary with time. One example is a system that is subject to external forces, such as an electron in an electromagnetic field. In this case, the Hamiltonian will depend on the time-varying electric and magnetic fields.

Another example is a system undergoing a phase transition, where the Hamiltonian can change as the system moves through different phases. This can be seen in the study of superconductors, where the Hamiltonian changes as the temperature of the system changes.

I also suggest looking into systems with time-dependent boundary conditions, such as a particle in a moving potential well. In this case, the Hamiltonian will vary as the potential well moves, leading to a time-dependent Hamiltonian.

I hope these examples give you some ideas to explore. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is a time dependant Hamiltonian?

A time dependant Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a system over time. It takes into account the energy of a system as well as how it changes with time.

2. How is a time dependant Hamiltonian different from a time-independent Hamiltonian?

A time dependant Hamiltonian includes a time variable in its equation, whereas a time-independent Hamiltonian does not. This means that a time dependant Hamiltonian allows for the consideration of systems that change over time, while a time-independent Hamiltonian is only applicable to systems that do not change.

3. What is the significance of a time dependant Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the time dependant Hamiltonian is used to calculate the evolution of a quantum state over time. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems and is crucial in predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How is a time dependant Hamiltonian used in practical applications?

The time dependant Hamiltonian is used in various applications, such as in quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance, and quantum optics. It is also used in the study of chemical reactions and in the development of new materials.

5. Can a time dependant Hamiltonian be solved analytically?

In some cases, a time dependant Hamiltonian can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, in most cases, it is solved numerically through computational methods due to the complexity of the equations involved.