Direct/Inverse proportion

• Thread starter _Muddy_
  • Start date
In summary, direct and inverse proportion are commonly taught in school, but there are other types of proportion such as the relationship between force and distance in physics. The proportionality constant, represented by "k" or any other symbol, is used to show the constant ratio between two quantities. This constant can be any number and is chosen arbitrarily. It is important to be consistent with the use of variables in equations.
_Muddy_
hello

we have been covering direct and inverse proportion at school. Are there any other types of proprtion?

We've been coming across questions like:

x is directly proportion to Y

Then I've been told to write

X (the proportion sign, which is like 8 on its side) Y

X=ky

We are then given a value for x and a value for y and asked to work out k. I'm fine with that but I'm wondering why we have to put "k"? Why does that proportion sign turn into "K"?

Also i was looking at the friedmann equation and i saw it had a "k" in it. When i see a physics equation like that will the K usually mean "constant" and will it have something to do with proportion?

thanks _Muddy_

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Any proportionality constant, if consistantly applied in the situation can be used; whether k, or c, or R, or K, or C, or anything which you can accept as a constant. Just understand that case-level really matters, so that k is a different number than K. x is a different number than X. Be consistant with your use of variables.

In case it helps, direct variation means that the RATIO between two numbers is a constant. When you express that x=ky, and that k is the proportionality constant, then we equivalently mean x/y is a constant, and that this constant is k.

k is just a constant (it is a number). The fact that you use k is entirely arbitrary, you could have used a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,a happy face, the peace sign whatever (although usually it is convention to use the beginning of the alphabet (a,b,c) to represent constants and the end to represent variables (x,y,z). The reason the proportional sign turn into a constant is because when you say something is PROPORTIONAL it doesn't mean 1 to 1 (i.e. if I have one person standing in a room I have (assuming they are properly attired) 2 shoes in the room (they have one on each foot). If another person enters the room you then have FOUR shoes. Therefore, the number of shoes in the room is PROPORTIONAL to the number of people but it is in fact TWICE the number of people therefore (# of people) time 2 = # of shoes. So in that case the porportionality 'constant' is 2. What if I considered limbs (2 arms, 2 legs) then, for each person in the room I have 4 times as many limbs so the proportionality constant is 4. And so on.

And yes there are more then just direct and inverse. For example, in physics the force that two charged particles feel towards each other is proportional to the inverse of the SQUARE of their distances (i.e. Force is proportional to 1/(distance)^2 so it's F = c/(distance)^2 where c is just a constant)

1. What is direct proportion?

Direct proportion is a relationship between two quantities in which an increase in one quantity leads to a proportional increase in the other quantity. This means that as one quantity increases, the other quantity also increases at the same rate.

2. What is inverse proportion?

Inverse proportion is a relationship between two quantities in which an increase in one quantity leads to a proportional decrease in the other quantity. This means that as one quantity increases, the other quantity decreases at the same rate.

3. How can you determine if two quantities are in direct or inverse proportion?

To determine if two quantities are in direct proportion, you can use the proportionality constant, which is the ratio between the two quantities. If the ratio remains constant as the quantities increase or decrease, then the relationship is direct proportion. For inverse proportion, the product of the two quantities should remain constant.

4. Can a relationship between two quantities be both direct and inverse proportion?

No, a relationship between two quantities cannot be both direct and inverse proportion. This is because in direct proportion, the quantities increase or decrease at the same rate, while in inverse proportion, they change at different rates.

5. How is direct/inverse proportion used in scientific research?

Direct and inverse proportion are used in scientific research to analyze and understand the relationships between different variables. By determining if two quantities are directly or inversely proportional, scientists can make predictions and draw conclusions about how changes in one variable may affect the other.