What is the best material for thermo molding fins on a helix wind turbine?

In summary, the individual is seeking information on how to build fins for an outside vertical axis wind turbine. They plan to use thermo molding with sheets of PVC that are UV and weather resistant. The material should be 1-2 mm thick and able to withstand outdoor weather conditions. They are considering materials like ABS, styrene, and PVC, but are unsure which one would be best for the project. They are open to suggestions and any help would be appreciated.
taylaron
Gold Member
Im building an outside vertical axis wind turbine. i need to build the (about 20) plastic fins that are going to be used to form the helix (which is the wind turbine)

im trying to build the fins that are used on the helix wind turbine.
a good video of it is on youtube:
a crappy picture of it is on their home site: http://www.helixwind.com/en/

Im going to use the method of thermo molding (melt sheet plastic till its malliable place it over a cast and use suction to form the shape you want)

i've been all over the internet trying to find sheets of PVC which are UV and weather resistant (assuming raw pvc is not)
i've come up with many different materials but i don't know which one to chose to make this generator.

this stuff needs to be 1-2 mm thick (right?). able to support it's own weight (about 2ft long by 8 inches) in a 'compound angle' along with being able to stand outside weather (heat, UV< stress, etc...)

such as abs, styrene, pvc, etc... the problem is i have no idea which one i should use for this project.

some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
i know this is a long post but some help would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot provide a definitive answer without knowing more details about the specific design and requirements of your wind turbine. However, I can offer some general guidelines and considerations for choosing the best material for thermo molding fins on a helix wind turbine.

Firstly, you will want to choose a material that is strong, durable, and able to withstand outdoor weather conditions. This includes exposure to UV radiation, temperature changes, and stress from wind and other environmental factors. Some options to consider include PVC, ABS, and styrene, as you mentioned. These materials are commonly used in outdoor applications and have good weather resistance.

Next, you will need to consider the thickness of the material. The fins will need to be able to support their own weight as well as the forces from the wind. A thickness of 1-2 mm may be suitable, but it ultimately depends on the design and size of your wind turbine. You may need to consult with a mechanical engineer or do some testing to determine the appropriate thickness for your specific design.

Another important factor to consider is the flexibility of the material. The fins will need to be able to bend and flex with the wind, so you will want to choose a material that is not too rigid and brittle. PVC and ABS are both known for their flexibility, while styrene is a bit more rigid.

In addition, you will need to ensure that the material can be easily molded using the thermo molding method you described. Some materials may be more difficult to mold or may require specialized equipment.

Lastly, cost and availability may also be important factors to consider. You will want to choose a material that is cost-effective and readily available for your project.

Overall, there is no one "best" material for thermo molding fins on a helix wind turbine. It will depend on the specific requirements and design of your turbine. I recommend doing some research, consulting with experts, and conducting some experiments to determine the best material for your project. Good luck!

1. What is thermo molding/casting?

Thermo molding/casting is a manufacturing process in which a material, typically a plastic or metal, is heated until it reaches a liquid or semi-liquid state and then poured into a mold. The material is then cooled and solidified in the shape of the mold, creating a finished product.

2. What types of materials can be used for thermo molding/casting?

Thermo molding/casting can be done with a variety of materials, including plastics, metals, and even some composites. The specific material used will depend on the desired properties of the final product and the capabilities of the thermo molding/casting equipment being used.

3. What are the advantages of thermo molding/casting?

Thermo molding/casting offers several advantages over other manufacturing processes. It allows for the creation of complex shapes and intricate details, as well as the production of large quantities of identical parts. It is also a relatively fast and cost-effective process.

4. Are there any limitations to thermo molding/casting?

While thermo molding/casting has many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. It may not be suitable for very large or heavy parts, and certain materials may not be compatible with the process. Additionally, the initial setup and tooling costs can be significant, making it more practical for larger production runs.

5. What industries commonly use thermo molding/casting?

Thermo molding/casting is widely used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, consumer goods, and medical devices. It is a versatile process that can be used to create a wide range of products, from small plastic parts to large metal components.