HV Snubber Circuit: Alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a high voltage snubber circuit to protect a MOSFET driving an inductive load. The speaker is looking for a capacitor that can handle 500-1000V transients with rise and fall times of 10000V/ms, and is considering Silver Mica capacitors but is concerned about their cost. The other person suggests Polypropylene film or Polystyrene film capacitors, and questions whether a flyback diode can catch the BEMF. The speaker is also asked about the required capacitance and is informed that most snubber capacitors can easily meet the 10kV/ms rise time.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm designing a high voltage snubber circuit to protect a MOSFET which is driving an inductive load to produce BEMF spikes. I am expecting that the snubber capacitor will have to handle 500-1000V transients with greater than 10000V/ms rise and fall times, which I hear can burn up most caps. So I began looking for some good RF capacitors (around 5-10 nF) that could handle the load and someone recommended to me that I look at using Silver Mica capacitors. But seeing how expensive they are, I am wondering if there are any alternative types of capacitors that have similar specs. I would just go for ceramic caps, but I hear they are not good for this either?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
You hear right about most capacitor types failing in this type of installation.
I think the ones we used were Polypropylene film or Polystyrene film capacitors.

Can you catch most of the BEMF using a flyback diode across the load?
Otherwise you want to look at polypropylene film construction.
What is the total capacitance you require?
The 10kV/ms rise time is generally easy to meet, as most snubber capacitors are rated at >1000V/us at that voltage.

What is a HV Snubber Circuit?

A HV Snubber Circuit is a circuit used to protect high voltage components from voltage spikes or transients. It is typically made up of a resistor, a capacitor, and a diode and is connected in parallel to the component it is protecting.

Why are Silver Mica Capacitors commonly used in HV Snubber Circuits?

Silver Mica Capacitors are commonly used in HV Snubber Circuits because they have a high voltage rating, low dissipation factor, and low leakage current. They are also able to withstand high temperatures and have good stability over time.

What are some alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors in HV Snubber Circuits?

Some alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors in HV Snubber Circuits include ceramic capacitors, film capacitors, and polymer capacitors. These alternatives may have different characteristics and may need to be chosen based on the specific requirements of the circuit.

What are the advantages of using alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors in HV Snubber Circuits?

Alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors can offer advantages such as lower cost, smaller size, and higher capacitance values. They may also have better high frequency characteristics, which can be beneficial in certain circuits.

Are there any disadvantages to using alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors in HV Snubber Circuits?

Some alternatives to Silver Mica Capacitors may have lower voltage ratings or higher dissipation factors, which may not make them suitable for all HV Snubber Circuit applications. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the circuit before choosing an alternative capacitor.