Driving an LED through RC circuit(RC time constant)

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit to light up an LED for a longer period of time based on a 10us pulse and using an RC time constant for delay. The individual is seeking help with designing the circuit and determining the placement and values of R and C. It is suggested to use a buffer, diode, and Schmidtt trigger gate in the circuit. The purpose of the Schmidtt trigger gate is to drive the LED.
hary536
Hi, i am trying to design a circuit, where i am trying to light up an LED long enough based on my pulse signal.
Here is what i am trying to do.

a 10us pulse(every second) --->74HCT04 buffer---> (RC circuit)----> LED.

since this is a 10us pulse, i want to make sure to light up the led for long enough time, so that one can see it. So i am trying to use RC time constant to add delay so that the LED remains ON for a longer time. I am not able to figure out the exact circuit for that and how i should design the RC circuit and how and where to place it with/before/after the LED.
Also i am not able to figure out how to calculate R and C.

It would be great, if someone can help me out.
Any kind of input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Hary.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Traditionally, you'd buffer the pulse, drive through a diode into a cap (with parallel bleed resistor to give the RC time constant), and follow that with a Schmidtt trigger gate to drive the LED.

Quiz Question -- why does the second gate need to have a Schmidtt trigger input?

Hello Hary,

It's great that you are experimenting with designing circuits to achieve your desired outcome. Using an RC circuit to control the timing of an LED is a common technique that can be very useful in various applications.

First, let's discuss the basics of an RC circuit. An RC circuit is composed of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor will charge up to the same voltage as the source. However, the capacitor will take some time to charge up, and this charging time is determined by the values of R and C. This is known as the RC time constant, and it is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C).

In your case, you want to use the RC circuit to create a delay in turning off the LED after the pulse signal has ended. To do this, you can place the RC circuit in parallel with the LED, with the positive terminal of the LED connected to the positive terminal of the capacitor. This will allow the capacitor to discharge through the LED, keeping it lit for a longer period of time.

To calculate the appropriate values for R and C, you will need to know the desired delay time and the voltage of your source. The formula for calculating the RC time constant is τ = RC, where τ is the time constant, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. Rearranging this formula, we can calculate the values of R and C as R = τ/C and C = τ/R.

For example, if you want a delay of 1 ms and your source voltage is 5V, you can use a 1 kΩ resistor and a 1 μF capacitor. This will give you a time constant of 1 ms, and the LED will remain lit for approximately 1 ms after the pulse signal has ended.

I hope this helps you in designing your circuit. Don't be afraid to experiment with different values of R and C to achieve your desired delay time. Good luck!

1. How does an RC circuit affect the performance of an LED?

An RC circuit can affect the performance of an LED by controlling the amount of current flowing through the LED. As the capacitor charges, it limits the current through the LED, resulting in a gradual rise in brightness. When the capacitor discharges, it allows more current to flow through the LED, resulting in a gradual decrease in brightness.

2. What is the purpose of using an RC circuit with an LED?

The purpose of using an RC circuit with an LED is to regulate the current and voltage going to the LED. This can help prevent the LED from burning out due to too much current or voltage fluctuations. It can also be used to create a gradual change in brightness, rather than an abrupt on or off.

3. How do the values of resistance and capacitance affect the RC time constant?

The values of resistance and capacitance affect the RC time constant by determining how quickly the capacitor charges and discharges. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a longer RC time constant, meaning it will take longer for the capacitor to reach its maximum charge or discharge.

4. Can an RC circuit be used to dim an LED?

Yes, an RC circuit can be used to dim an LED by adjusting the resistance and capacitance values. By increasing the resistance or capacitance, the RC time constant will increase, resulting in a slower charging and discharging of the capacitor, and therefore a dimmer LED.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using an RC circuit with an LED?

There are some safety concerns when using an RC circuit with an LED, primarily related to the voltage and current levels. It is important to use the correct values of resistance and capacitance to prevent overheating or damaging the LED. It is also important to use the appropriate power source and to handle the components carefully to avoid electric shock.