Need help building aerodynamic billy cart

In summary, the designer of a 3-wheeled billy cart prefers a design that is wide at the front and narrowing to the rear in order to reduce drag.
Dain
My name is Dain, and I'm wondering if someone would be able to help me, or point me in the right direction on designing a aerodynamic 3 wheeled billy cart.

Once a year at my old home town of Beechwood in NSW, Australia, is a 5.6 km 2 person billy cart race down Pappinbarra Mountain,

this year (the 28th annual billycart classic) we ran down the mountain in a time of 10minutes and 5 seconds, but the winners came down the mountain in a time of 6 minutes 57sec.. this was the 4th year in a row that "bessy" (the name of the cart) has won the billycart classic, until now we have only gone down the mountain for a bit of fun, and we didnt have a very fast cart.

Well now it time to design and build "BESSY BEATER"

I was wondering if someone could send me some simple but effective shapes and dimensions that fit the basic designs of the billycarts that are run in this event,

current cart size's are approx 800mm high x 1000mm wide x 2500/3000mm long. ( remembering that the passenger may have to get out and push up hills)

Attachments

• bessy.jpg
    bessy.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,018
Physics news on Phys.org
thats sweet, reminds me of speed racer(http://www.tv.com/dexters-laboratory/mock-5/episode/24564/summary.html).
Anyways since the cart is not having any propulsion unit & is only manually pushed, its much like a glider(conceptually, at least). Drag needs to be limited to as least value as possible. Obviously you have already got that part.
Its really hard to just suggest a design(considering that there might be many), so you first should look at something which is really don on the same line. Have you heard of super mileage vehicle contest organized by SAE, those guys built vehicle similar to yours & ride at pretty much the same speed(i guess)
http://smv.berkeley.edu/
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ermileage&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIN287&sa=N
http://dce.ac.in/research/projects/supermileage/ [Broken]
Last one is from my college team

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the links, looking at most of these cars and all of the ones i have found googling billys carts etc,it seems that the preferred design is wide at the front and narrowing to the rear, if i was to build my cart the other way around narrow at front to wide at the rear ( to suit passenger having to get out and push) would this be defeating the areodynamics and creating to much drag, the race that we compete in seems to be the only one in the world that run 2 person carts with the passenger having to get out and push up hills, unfortunatly i have very little understanding of areodynamics and drag, as I am a cabinet maker by trade but have a passion for building fast billy carts.

to date the max speed of our billy carts have been 110 kmph (with a 90deg. right hand bend at the bottom of the hill, lol), with averaging speeds of around 50/60 kmph through the corners coming down the mountain. that's not bad concidering all the carts are made in back yard sheds at minium expence (mostly scap metal and old push bike parts)

Dain said:
to date the max speed of our billy carts have been 110 kmph (with a 90deg. right hand bend at the bottom of the hill, lol), with averaging speeds of around 50/60 kmph through the corners coming down the mountain. that's not bad concidering all the carts are made in back yard sheds at minium expence (mostly scap metal and old push bike parts)

thats a lot, i guessed it would be around 50kmph max.

For the point made in your other post about the narrow front & wider rear, compare it to an airfoil, you ll note that it is having maximum thickness at about 20-30% down the length, & it gets narrower towards the tail.

Basically drag is the summation of viscous drag & pressure drag. You can see read about both in this link
http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/aerodynamics1/Drag/Page1.html [Broken]

the preferred design is wide at the front and narrowing to the rear
the reason being that a narrowing tail ll present lesser adverse pressure gradient, thus boundary layer separation is delayed & hence pressure drag is reduced. Since you mentioned you don't know much of fluid dynamics, you ll be better of referring to available designs for such applications. However, the above link ll be a good start to move on.

cheers!

sweet that link was a great help, it makes my idea look good, what i have came up with so far. Do you think this is optimal design for speed and best fits the dimensions of the common billy cart used in the race ?

please see attached pics of my design

all comments welcome, good and bad..

Many thanks again..

Dain.

Attachments

• billy cart design.gif
    billy cart design.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 936
  • billy cart design 2.gif
    billy cart design 2.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 913
I really doubt if any design can be judged optimal or not just by looking at it.

If you are concerned about the aerodynamics of "billy", I am afraid billy is far from being perfect, it ll generate heck of a lot of pressure drag. I assume that you have read about the types of drag in that link earlier. So to reduce pressure drag, you need to "streamline" billy.
Is there any length constraint??
If not, add a narrowing section. It ll present a smaller pressure gradient, hence pressure recovery ll be more efficient & hence lesser pressure drag. For viscous drag, it entirely depends on what the flow conditions are. I suggest you take some technical help from someone.

Attachments

• billy cart design 2.gif
    billy cart design 2.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,233
No there is no length restrictions, but being squared off at the back makes easy acess for the passenger to get out and push from behind,but now i think about it i could prob. run it like a bob sled and push from the side and jump in over the side,to get in.(cool runnings, lol)

would having the top cut open for access would cause lots of drag ? or will the air flow direction continue over the opening, and sharpening up the tail narrow be useless ? would a plane tail shape on the end help or continue the curve, it will need a little down force but not much (just to keep the wheels on the ground), cause it only slows you down.

sorry if I am bugging you with all thse questions, but i hope to start construction in the next few days, ready for the next race in a few weeks

Attachments

• changes.GIF
    changes.GIF
    4.9 KB · Views: 576
  • changed side.GIF
    changed side.GIF
    3.4 KB · Views: 553
  • plane back.GIF
    plane back.GIF
    3.3 KB · Views: 547
Dain said:
would having the top cut open for access would cause lots of drag ?
depends on the cut, I don't know how should I explain this, but here goes, consider a pickup truck, you can assume the back space as a cut, if tail gate is down, there is an adverse pressure gradient due to such geometry, now if tailgate is up, something called a separation bubble is created in the space behind the driver, which improves pressure recovery(lesser adverse pressure gradient). Got anything?? I doubt :biggrin:. Mythbusters did it in season 3, if you can download that episode, you ll get a better understanding. here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_3)#Tailgate_Up_vs._Tailgate_Down

or will the air flow direction continue over the opening,
like I said, it entirely depends on airflow, if you can get a separation bubble(a separated vortex actually) & cushion the air to flow past, pressure drag will be reduced.

and sharpening up the tail narrow be useless ?
No, it ll always help reduce drag by improving pressure recovery.

Why do you need a cut? To jump in?? I suggest you use a canopy, you ll only create drag for a short period when it is open, you can close it lator in the drive.

would a plane tail shape on the end help or continue the curve, it will need a little down force but not much (just to keep the wheels on the ground), cause it only slows you down.
I didn't get this at all.

for the tale shape, would it be better to continue the curve around , or design some type of tail fin like a plane ? ( like in attachments in previous reply), I am thinking that the curved continuing around to the rear would create more downforce ? is this correct ?

Oh, you mean something like a rudder?? No, that serves entirely different purpose, it is used for yaw control.

Down force? oh you are not coming off the ground going down a hill. You are at 50-60 kmph at corners(a 90 deg bend). If you really want to increase your cornering speed, maybe add airfoils generating negative lift, but that would require a whole lot of analysis.

can you have movable aerodynamic devices?

I was thinking like a canard like drag boats have. the driver/pilot has a foot pedal that controls the angle of attack of the canard (or sorts, maybe more of like a forward flap), and when racing uses this to slightly lift the nose out of the water to reduce drag from the water (while increasing drag from the air, but air is 1000x less dense that water, thus this is quite beneficial)

maybe do something like that, where you could create a little lift to reduce force on the bearings and therefore reduce friction, but at the corners, create downforce to improve cornering speeds (it wasnt clear if you had to slow for the corners or not)

as far as a rudder is concerned, if you don't want to make the sacrifice of big tires for a couple hairy turns, maybe a rudder might be a cool thing to have. it would keep the single rear wheel from sliding out, and not add too much drag in the process. eh, maybe not. it was popular with older race cars, probably for the above reasons.

as far as overall shape, think of a tear drop, 3-d shape and all. cut it in half - that's your car. limit the rear drop off to say 15 degrees (which makes the car really long, so make it smaller in cross section)

that should keep you busy for a while

oh, and use composites to save weight if you don't already

mshinavar said:
can you have movable aerodynamic devices?

Well i think you can have them, there is nothing to say you cant, but the rules are a bit blured, well as far as i know there isn't any, written down anyway, i have asked for them and nothing has been produced, because my first thought was to run a 2 wheel design, but i was told there is a 3 wheel minium, so that's when i asked for the cart requirements.

With braking to corner, If you have the balls (most of us looking for the win) there is no braking down the mountain, you need to carry as much speed and momentum down the mountain as possible. it gets a bit hairy at times but its all part of the rush, lol.

Now i have the painful task of trying to get the ideas out of my head and on to paper so my dad can build it, if only i had a CAD programe to draw it up properly with proper sizes and angles etc, so my old man builds what I am thinking, lol.

Thanks for everyones help, and if you still have ideas please post them, as there is still time for change..

everyone,

would it be more advantageous to be light weight or heavy? mass always divides out of equations, so you would think that it doesn't play a significant role, however intuitively that doesn't seem the case. also mass plays a role in momentum (mV), and it seems better to have higher momentum, but at the expense of higher inertia (at start)? I am assuming the higher momentum keeps your speed up as you hit flat sections (but the higher inertia retards you as you start going downhill again)

i know heavier pinewood derby cars (gravity driven) work better the heavier they are...

I was just about to ask the same question, lighter Vs Heavy ?

mshinavar said:
everyone,

would it be more advantageous to be light weight or heavy? mass always divides out of equations, so you would think that it doesn't play a significant role, however intuitively that doesn't seem the case. also mass plays a role in momentum (mV), and it seems better to have higher momentum, but at the expense of higher inertia (at start)? I am assuming the higher momentum keeps your speed up as you hit flat sections (but the higher inertia retards you as you start going downhill again)

i know heavier pinewood derby cars (gravity driven) work better the heavier they are...
Two objects, no matter which one is heavier, ll fall to the datum simultaneously & with equal velocity, so obviously, it doesn't matter(you pointed out that already).
Like you mentioned about reducing the friction by having canard type control surfaces to reduce the normal force, lighter system ll automatically have a lesser normal force, hence lesser frictional loss. But then again, steering capabilities at higher speeds at corners is curtailed for lighter vehicle.
Then of course is momentum, it was already pointed out in this post.
Then drag, if both systems are similar in shape, heavier system ll experience lesser deceleration.
So it really is a trade off between various constraints.

well thank you to all that have made comments and given me information and ideas for my cart, as of yesterday construction started, but i hope the heavier it is the quicker it is because the tax man was not kind to me this year, so iv had to opt for cheaper materials which means heavier materials, please keep posting ideas as a new cart will probly be built for next year, if this one doesn't do the job, if anyone has some spare time and would like to design the perfect cart feel free to email it to me, my company has just purchased the AUTO CAD programe, so next year i can draw up a design proply and send it to someone to manufacture for me.

Many Thanks again and ill keep you posted by posting pics of construction and final product and how i placed in the big race (in 4weeks time).

Where are the pics Dain? How's the building going...

Building is going well as far as i know,I don't have many photos cause my dad doesn't know how to use a digital camera and email photos, and he and the cart are 7 hrs drive away, but as soon as i get some ill post them( I have not seen it myself yet), but at the latest the race is on the 26th of oct. and if i have not put any on by then ill have seen it for my self and run and won the race and ill be slashing photos of it all over the web, lol. (ill get my sister to email me some pic ASAP)

Here are some construction picks, far from finished, post some pics of your new build Bullet 08.

Attachments

• Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 192.jpg
    Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 192.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 609
  • Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 191.jpg
    Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 191.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 588
  • Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 190.jpg
    Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 190.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 592
a few more pics

Attachments

• Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 188.jpg
    Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 188.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 587
  • Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 189.jpg
    Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 189.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 549
  • Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 193.jpg
    Mum & Dads Camera 08-08 193.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 509
before she goes to the painters

Attachments

• The beast 08.JPG
    The beast 08.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 580
nice dain

Well the race has been run and won, and unfortinatley we were not the winners, but yes we did come home with 2 trophies each, Well the first one was for LAST PAST THE POST and the other for THE HARD LUCK AWARD, lol, yes we had to push the silver bullet about 4 kms, we were on a flier, smoking down the mountain, the fastest iv ever been and all of a sudden BANG we blew a tyre, and the day was over, but in true auzzie fashion we didnt give up, we pushed the bullet all the way to the finish line to finsh the race in 18 minutes and 32 seconds. but all and all a great day had by all, lots of beers and bulls dust at the pub after the race, BUT WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR, bigger and better. and hopfully bring home the gold.

a few pics from race day

having trouble uploading pic

Arrr yes interesting stuff
I have been building trolleys for the Collingwood street derby in Nelson NZ for the past 5 years and have built mine to be very Aerodynamic
last year got up to 90.9 kph on a 1.5 km track ... we do about 70 down Collingwood st
see http://www.derby.co.nz
I built a 1/10th scale model wind tunnel to test my body shapes and used the best one
I can send you some pictures of my Redrak Racer III if I could work out how to post them ?
yours Tim

Sounds like fun, Dain! Especially post race!

How do you put pics on here ?

Hi Dain You have your work cut for you for sure. I've been racing Billycarts for over 17 years here in Tassie and I remain undefeated in all three class's. All my carts are (lay down head first) Trikes. Being head first can be a little daunting at first but if you have the steering head angle correct it's really really good. Everyone that's ridden my cart comes back to the top of the hill saying one thing, 'can I go again'. One of the carts has beaten every Aussie Champion but I don't go to major events as that would kill the class if one cart dominates (Bessy owners take heed).
Now Billycarts are just not all about aerodynamics, there's a 'science' of reducing frictions and gleaning the best of inertia / momentum from the wheels etc.
I see Bessy has two men aboard. Over such a long course the weight of those two guys has to be countered for. That means they have worked their Chassis, Bearings and Lube Viscosity out (or have they?). As far as the aero goes you can easily do better than Bessy as they have a very large frontal area, meaning their drag tail will be about 4 times the size of the cart at 100kmh. Keep that in mind when building your bodywork.
I also race Street Luge, Classic Luge and Gravity Bikes at World Cup level. My wheels and Bearings have won 3 rounds of the IGSA World Championship including the 09 Street Luge World Title with a 2nd in Classic Luge with SA' Nick Duffield. My Gravity Bike still holds the best speed down Mt Panorama of 102kmh set in 2008. I'll post a pic(s) of my Billycart(s) and your welcome to glean ideas from them and ask questions to-boot. I have no doubt that anyone of my carts would be beat Bessy but their not built for two, that's a whole new can of worms...Trikes

Have a look here Dain http://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp#!/pages/Southern-Tasmania-Billycart-Group/328971924254 The biggest aero problem you have is that your so close to the proximity of the ground. Bessy has that too. I've raced against HPV's that were built / shaped like what you have and while they went close in the acceleration stakes they didn't have the top end because of their being so close to the ground. I believe a Billycart must be away from the ground to reduce any down force interpreting drag etc. I did much research on the Salt Flat Race Cars and they are mostly follow this line of thought. But having two people aboard is a can f worms for sure.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1435/1002214jj2.jpg [Broken]
By trikesrule at 2007-05-25

Look carefully at the tricky bits on the yellow carts front wheel. These shapes ahead of the wheel were all carefully (with cardboard and gaffer tape lol) made to make the wheels want to turn faster. My original theory was to delete the air flow hitting the top of the wheel and that should make the wheel want to turn faster and it did. In front of fans the fully exposed front wheel would not turn at all. With careful fiddly I got it to rotate up to 32kmh! Nothing on this cart made it slower. Everything was tested and retested many times. If it didn't make it faster it wasn't used. Even the Wax by Zymol gave me 1kmh more than any other on the market. It turns out a certain Ferrari driver from Germany had the same wax on his F1 car. All three of my carts run different size to cater for differing class's and all three are class leaders.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3323/bathurstbillycarts028if6.jpg [Broken]
By trikesrule at 2008-08-21
This is Wooleys cart from WA. Sleek and beautiful design but it suffers from basic one problem. All the wheels are the same size. That means you get no basic effect of the rear wheels trying to catch the front. That boys and girls is simply the biggest error they all make. All my carts have the front wheel smaller than the rears. It was the very first thing I developed when determining what basic things were needed for a cart that was to be faster than anyone else. I went on to determine what size wheels were fastest when paired up with another. What size wheels are you using? What size wheels is Bessy using? Bet he's got 20" 406 wheels in there somewhere. 20" wheels are extremely tough and commonly found.

My eldest Daughters trike. Man didn't she upset the boys with this. Sharii never lost a race (still hasn't). 12" front wheel with with front track style hub by Velocity. 16" out back. The right rear wheel came form the Tip! http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/4828/1003371qy2.jpg [Broken]
By trikesrule at 2008-11-26 http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7395/1001708ss9.jpg [Broken]
By trikesrule at 2007-05-27

<h2>1. What materials do I need to build an aerodynamic billy cart?</h2><p>To build an aerodynamic billy cart, you will need a sturdy frame made of wood or metal, wheels, axles, steering mechanism, and a seat. You may also need additional materials such as screws, bolts, and paint for decoration.</p><h2>2. How do I ensure my billy cart is aerodynamic?</h2><p>To make your billy cart aerodynamic, you should focus on reducing drag by using smooth and streamlined shapes. This can be achieved by using curved edges, reducing the size of the front-facing surface, and minimizing any gaps or openings.</p><h2>3. What is the ideal weight for an aerodynamic billy cart?</h2><p>The ideal weight for an aerodynamic billy cart will depend on the materials used and the intended purpose. In general, a lighter billy cart will have less drag and be easier to maneuver, but it may also be less stable. It is important to find a balance between weight and stability for optimal performance.</p><h2>4. How can I test the aerodynamics of my billy cart?</h2><p>One way to test the aerodynamics of your billy cart is to conduct a wind tunnel test. This involves placing your billy cart in a controlled wind tunnel and measuring the drag and lift forces. You can also test the performance of your billy cart by racing it against other billy carts in a controlled environment.</p><h2>5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building an aerodynamic billy cart?</h2><p>Yes, safety should always be a top priority when building and using a billy cart. It is important to use sturdy materials, secure all parts properly, and wear protective gear while racing. Additionally, always test your billy cart in a safe and controlled environment to avoid accidents.</p>

1. What materials do I need to build an aerodynamic billy cart?

To build an aerodynamic billy cart, you will need a sturdy frame made of wood or metal, wheels, axles, steering mechanism, and a seat. You may also need additional materials such as screws, bolts, and paint for decoration.

2. How do I ensure my billy cart is aerodynamic?

To make your billy cart aerodynamic, you should focus on reducing drag by using smooth and streamlined shapes. This can be achieved by using curved edges, reducing the size of the front-facing surface, and minimizing any gaps or openings.

3. What is the ideal weight for an aerodynamic billy cart?

The ideal weight for an aerodynamic billy cart will depend on the materials used and the intended purpose. In general, a lighter billy cart will have less drag and be easier to maneuver, but it may also be less stable. It is important to find a balance between weight and stability for optimal performance.

4. How can I test the aerodynamics of my billy cart?

One way to test the aerodynamics of your billy cart is to conduct a wind tunnel test. This involves placing your billy cart in a controlled wind tunnel and measuring the drag and lift forces. You can also test the performance of your billy cart by racing it against other billy carts in a controlled environment.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building an aerodynamic billy cart?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when building and using a billy cart. It is important to use sturdy materials, secure all parts properly, and wear protective gear while racing. Additionally, always test your billy cart in a safe and controlled environment to avoid accidents.