Has anyone here heard of a digital potentiometer for household current?

• Thread starter LURCH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digital
In summary, the speaker is looking for a digital potentiometer specifically designed for household current in the US (110v 60Hz AC). However, after searching online, they have not been able to find any for sale. The speaker also mentions that digital potentiometers seem to be designed for controlling IC circuits and may not be able to handle larger amounts of current. Additionally, the speaker is unsure of the purpose of a digital potentiometer for AC Mains and suggests using other devices such as variacs or triacs for dimming.
LURCH
Science Advisor
Has anyone here ever heard of a digital potentiometer that is built for household current? I'm talking about US power supply (110v 60Hz AC). I've been looking for one to buy. I tried searching online to look for prices, only to find that they don't seem to exist.

Any links to an online store, or information about the existence or non-exitance of such a device would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
LURCH said:
Has anyone here ever heard of a digital potentiometer that is built for household current? I'm talking about US power supply (110v 60Hz AC). I've been looking for one to buy. I tried searching online to look for prices, only to find that they don't seem to exist.

Any links to an online store, or information about the existence or non-exitance of such a device would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what you mean by a digital potentiometer for the AC Mains. I've not seen a use for a potentiometer on the AC Mains. Are you thinking more of a variac, to get stepped-down versions of the AC Mains voltage? Or are you looking to dim something like a light? If dimming, you don't use a potentiometer. You use triacs or SCRs to make dimmers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimmer

What is a digital pot and how does it work?

A digital pot, short for digital potentiometer, is an electronic component that functions as a variable resistor. It can be controlled digitally, using digital signals, instead of traditional analog control methods. This allows for more precise and flexible control over the resistance value.

What are the advantages of using a digital pot over a traditional potentiometer?

One of the main advantages of using a digital pot is its ability to be controlled digitally, making it easier to integrate into digital circuits and systems. Additionally, digital pots offer more precise and reliable control over resistance values, and can often be programmed and adjusted remotely.

What are some common applications of digital pots?

Digital pots can be found in a variety of electronic devices and systems, including audio equipment, medical devices, and industrial controls. They are also commonly used in electronic testing and calibration equipment.

What factors should be considered when choosing a digital pot?

When looking for a digital pot, some important factors to consider include the resistance range, number of channels, resolution, accuracy, and interface type. It is also important to consider the specific application and the requirements for reliability and durability.

Can a digital pot be used in place of a traditional potentiometer?

In most cases, yes, a digital pot can be used as a replacement for a traditional potentiometer. However, it is important to carefully consider the requirements and specifications of the circuit or system to ensure that the digital pot is a suitable replacement.