Eddy Current Pendulum: How Does it Work?

In summary, the Eddy current pendulum works by generating eddy currents in the pendulum due to Faraday's Law. These currents align to oppose the magnetic field, resulting in a drag force. It is not the Lorentz force, but rather the North-South attraction and/or like pole repulsion of the permanent magnet and induced field that creates this force. The Lorentz force acting on the electrons in the conductor may contribute to the drag force, but it is unclear how it would act in this situation. Overall, the drag force is created by the opposition of the induced field to the external field.
ElectroJ
I am trying to understand how the Eddy current pendulum works. I know that the changing magnetic field will generate the eddy currents in the pendulum due to Faraday's Law, and that these currents will align so as to oppose the magnetic field. But where does the force come from? If its due to Lorentz force on the circulating eddy currents shouldn't the force on one side of the loop be equal and opposite to the other side and hence cancel each other out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it because the field is stronger on one side of the loop?

ElectroJ said:
... If its due to Lorentz force on the circulating eddy currents shouldn't the force on one side of the loop be equal and opposite to the other side and hence cancel each other out?

My understanding is that it's not the Lorentz force that creates the drag force, but rather the North-South attraction (and/or like pole repulsion) of the permanent magnet and the field induced by the eddy currents. Lenz's Law states (as you point out), that the eddy currents will be induced in a direction such that they will create a field opposing the original external field - as such, if you imagine the induced field as a virtual bar magnet, the north will be near south of the external, and vice versa.

As far as the Lorentz forces acting on the electrons in the conductor, I am a little stuck here, because it seems like the Lorentz force would act radially inward, "trying to shrink" the diameter of the current loop. This doesn't make sense to me, so I'm stuck on that point. I agree that they all should cancel, however, and thus not contribute to the drag force.

-Aaron.

1. How does an eddy current pendulum work?

An eddy current pendulum works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a metal pendulum swings through a magnetic field, it creates eddy currents in the metal that oppose the magnetic field. These opposing currents create a resistance that slows down the pendulum's swing, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to a stop.

2. What is the purpose of an eddy current pendulum?

The purpose of an eddy current pendulum is to demonstrate the effects of electromagnetic induction and the conversion of kinetic energy into electrical energy. It is also used as a teaching tool to explain concepts such as energy, motion, and electricity.

3. How is an eddy current pendulum different from a regular pendulum?

An eddy current pendulum differs from a regular pendulum in that it uses the force of eddy currents to slow down and stop the pendulum's swing, rather than friction or air resistance. This allows for a more controlled and precise demonstration of energy conversion.

4. What materials are needed to build an eddy current pendulum?

To build an eddy current pendulum, you will need a metal pendulum, a strong magnet, a conducting material such as copper or aluminum, and a power source such as a battery or power supply. You may also need wires and a voltmeter to measure the electrical current.

5. How can I make an eddy current pendulum at home?

An eddy current pendulum can be made at home by following these steps: 1) Attach a metal pendulum to a string or wire. 2) Place a strong magnet underneath the pendulum's swing path. 3) Connect one end of a conducting material (such as a copper wire) to the magnet and the other end to a power source. 4) Test the pendulum by swinging it through the magnetic field and observing the effects of eddy currents. 5) Adjust the strength of the magnetic field and the power source to achieve the desired results.