Need advices about my GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool

In summary, the conversation is about a computer science student in their final year who is preparing for their graduation project. They are planning to develop a system similar to MIT's "A Shrewd Sketch Interpretation and Simulation Tool" that allows engineers to sketch mechanical systems and then interact with them through simulation. Some advantages of this system include a paper and pen-like interface, early use in design, and the ability to identify mechanical parts in the user's drawing. The student is seeking feedback and advice on the usefulness of this project for mechanical engineers and any additional features or suggestions.
Magdy
Hi,
I am a computer science student in my final year, and preparing myself for my graduation project (GP).

Please check this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eGypGOlOc"
This program is from MIT and it is called "A Shrewd Sketch Interpretation and Simulation Tool".

I am planning to develop a system that pretty much provide the same functionalities and features, the aim is to create a tool that allows the engineers to sketch a mechanical system as they would on paper, and then allow them to interact with the design as a mechanical system for example by seeing a simulation of the drawing.

Some Advantages:
- An interface gives you the look and feel of paper and pen (instead of menus in CAD systems), helps you to be more creative and much easier in designing (Free environment)
- Use computers in Early Design
- Able to identify the mechanical parts in the user’s drawing
- The user is able to sketch directly into the system that interprets his/her design, and would be able to simulate the sketch at any point in the design process and go right back to sketching

I am still in the searching and investigation stage, and because I do not have almost any knowledge/background about mechanical stuff, here I am asking for feedback(s) and advices.
- Is this project will be useful for mechanical engineerings (it will be used to design kind of simple mechanical systems)?
- What additional features/parts I could add?
- Any comments/advices, will be most welcome.

I deeply value the time you put to read this long post.
Kind regards,
Magdy

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could anyone around there give me any opinion or advice?! =(

1. What is the purpose of the GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool?

The GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool is designed to assist users in accurately interpreting and simulating complex data sets, ultimately aiding in the analysis and understanding of the data.

2. How does the GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool work?

The tool utilizes advanced algorithms and machine learning techniques to interpret and simulate data. Users input their data and the tool generates visual representations and simulations based on the data.

3. What types of data can be interpreted and simulated using the GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool?

The tool is designed to handle a wide range of data types, including numerical, categorical, and textual data. It can also handle multi-dimensional and time-series data.

4. Can the GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool be customized for specific research needs?

Yes, the tool can be customized to fit the specific needs of a research project. Users can adjust the parameters and settings to better suit their data and research goals.

5. Is the GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool user-friendly?

Yes, the tool is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. It does not require extensive technical knowledge to use, making it accessible to a wide range of users.