Increase Pump Volume with DC Motor Speed Control | Beginner's Guide

In summary, Joewho is new here and is electrically stupid is working on a proof of concept for a variable pump that uses a 12v DC motor. He was looking for advice on whether or not the motor might burn out if run at a voltage lower than 12v and found that the motor may burn out at 7v or lower. He is looking into using a pulse width modulation controller to increase the voltage to 12v.
jjackson927
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm electrically stupid. I am working on a mock up of a system designed to pump a variable amount of liquid. I was looking the OEM manual for a small 12v pump and it said that the motor may burn out if run at a voltage lower than 12v.

I understand that the way to change DC motor speed is to vary the voltage. So my idea was to run the motor inline with a resistor to give it 6v and to then be able to switch it to 12v to increase the volume pumped.

So I guess my question is why would the motor burn out if run at low voltage? Can I run it at 12v and up it to 24v (it doesn't say anything about running it at high voltage)? Am I completely off base?

I realize my extreme limitations in this area, I'm just trying to put together a small scale mock up as proof of concept. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to PF!
no you are not completely off base.
i had used a 12VDC motor and we could up the speed from 7V to 14V.(60rpm tp 110rpm)
study the datasheet of the motor in hand and find out its electrical characteristics.
all in all its fun trying reliability.

Better to use a pulse width speed controller maybe.

Or drop the voltage with diodes which produce a fairly contstant voltage drop irrespective of current and loading of the motor.

Pumblechook said:
Better to use a pulse width speed controller maybe.

Yes, you do not slow down a DC motor by providing it a lower voltage -- the torque falls off too fast with voltage for that. Instead, you pulse-width-modulate the 12V power source to slow the motor down. So you would chop the 12V power at a few hundred Hz, for example to slow the motor down and still maintain a good torque.

Wow thanks, I'll look into that and post back with what i find.

What kind of motor is it that runs the pump? Series wound or PMDC? I hope you have a PMDC motor and a 12v PWM controller is definitely the way to go.

Hi,

A quick note of caution as you don’t mention if your liquid is volatile or not, DC motors have a horrible tendency to arc across the contacts internally so if you are trying to pump petrol or something, please proceed with extreme caution in a very well ventilated space, if you don’t your proof of concept may well be up for a darwin award.

Utwig

What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical motion. It typically consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) and uses direct current (DC) to power its operation.

How do I control the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage, current, or the strength of the magnetic field within the motor. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a variable resistor or a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal.

What factors can affect the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be affected by various factors such as the applied voltage, the load on the motor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the type of motor controller used. Temperature and friction can also impact the motor's speed.

Can I reverse the direction of a DC motor?

Yes, the direction of a DC motor can be reversed by reversing the polarity of the power supply or by switching the connections of the motor's terminals. This can be done manually or through a motor controller.

What are some common applications of DC motors?

DC motors have a wide range of applications, including in electric vehicles, industrial machinery, household appliances, robotics, and more. They are also commonly used in fans, pumps, and other devices that require variable speed control.