Solve Growth Rate Problem: Find Bacteria at Time t

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the number of bacteria in a culture at different times, using the rate of growth equation y=ce^{kt}. The conversation includes discussions on how to solve for the variable k and different methods for determining its value. The solution is achieved by substituting t1 into the equation and solving for k, which can then be used to find the number of bacteria at different times.
Swerting
The problem states that the number of bacteria in a culture is proportional to the number present. The culture has 10,000 bacteria initially, 20,000 at time t1 minutes, and 100,000 bacteria at time (t1+10) minutes.
I am asked to find the number of bacteria at time t in terms of t only.
The rate of growth equation is [tex]y=ce^{kt}[/tex].

I understand c to be the initial population, 10,000, and y to be the population at time t, which makes sense because according to this logic, y=10,000 at time 0. Over 10 minutes the population seems to grow 80,000, so I divided 80,000 by 10 and got 8,000 as a rate. I plugged this in as my 'k' value and solved for t1. When I plugged this into the formula when y=100,000, the two values weren't equal (the value on the right side of the equation was so big I couldn't even compute it). I have been trying to figure out other ways to calcuate 'k', but am unable to since the time t1 was not specified. I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem on the correct track. Start this as y=20000 at a new start time, and that y=100000 at ten minutes from that start time (meaning when t=10).

This has the same format as the popular Pert formula for continuous compound interest. It appears as though you know how to use it, so I take it the issue is finding the value for variable k.

As k is in the exponent, the way you went about solving for it is absolutely incorrect. Remember that exponents impact the answer in a big way - had the equation been linear, it would be a different story.

The problem is certainly solvable. Try making a table and comparing the differences, then the differences of the differences. The "differences of the differences" should be the same.

I'll check in after a while to see how you're doing. I assume you have until Monday?

Thank you all very much! I got it now!
With your help, I was able to get the idea of substitution into my mind, putting 'k' into terms of t1. From this, I was able to plug it into the 100,000 equation, solve for t1, and then solve for k. When I plugged these values into BOTH equations, the 100,000 and 20,000 equation (where y equals those values), it worked perfectly!
Again, thanks for the help! I appreciate it!:biggrin:

jacksonpeeble said:
Try making a table and comparing the differences, then the differences of the differences. The "differences of the differences" should be the same.

Actually this doesn't work for exponents. The differences of the differences of the diff... etc. are always increasing at the rate the exponential increases.

For linear patterns, n, the difference is always equal.
For quadratic patterns, n2, the difference of the difference is always equal.
For cubic patterns, n3, the diff. of the diff. of the diff. is always equal... etc.

1. How do you solve a growth rate problem to find the number of bacteria at a specific time?

To solve a growth rate problem and find the number of bacteria at a specific time, you will need to use the formula Nt = N0 x e^(rt), where Nt is the final number of bacteria, N0 is the initial number of bacteria, e is the base of the natural logarithm, and r is the growth rate. You will also need to know the time (t) at which you want to find the number of bacteria.

2. What is the significance of the natural logarithm in solving a growth rate problem?

The natural logarithm (ln) is used in the formula for solving a growth rate problem because it represents the rate of change over time. In other words, the natural logarithm allows us to calculate the growth rate of the bacteria population over a specific period of time.

3. Can the growth rate problem be solved without knowing the initial number of bacteria?

No, the initial number of bacteria (N0) is a crucial variable in the growth rate formula. Without knowing the initial number of bacteria, it is impossible to accurately calculate the final number of bacteria at a specific time.

4. How do you determine the growth rate of a bacteria population?

The growth rate of a bacteria population can be determined by using the formula r = (ln(Nt/N0)) / t, where Nt is the final number of bacteria, N0 is the initial number of bacteria, and t is the time period over which the growth occurred. This formula will give you the growth rate in terms of a decimal or percentage.

5. What are some common units for expressing the growth rate of bacteria?

The growth rate of bacteria can be expressed in various units, but some of the most common ones include per hour, per day, per week, and per year. These units are typically used to represent the growth rate over a specific time period.