What is the vector field expressed in spherical coordinates?

In summary, the vector field \underline{F} = -y \underline{i} + x \underline{j} + (x^2 + y^2)\underline{k} can be expressed in spherical coordinates as \underline{F} = rsin\theta(-sin\phi\mathbf{i} + cos\phi\underline{j} +rsin\theta\underline{k}). This can be rewritten in terms of the unit vectors \underline{e}_r, \underline{e}_\theta, and \underline{e}_\phi by solving the equations \underline{e}_r = sin\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) + cos\theta\underline
barnflakes
Express the following vector field in spherical coordinates. (The
answer should be in a form that uses the unit vectors of the curvilinear coordi-
nate system and coefficient functions that are written in terms of the curvilinear
coordinates.)

[itex] \underline{F} = -y \underline{i} + x \underline{j} + (x^2 + y^2)\underline{k}[/itex]

OK, so I've obtained the equation:

[itex]\underline{F} = rsin\theta(-sin\phi\mathbf{i} + cos\phi\underline{j} +rsin\theta\underline{k})[/itex] simply by substituting [itex]x = rsin\theta cos\phi[/itex] etc. into the above equations. Now how do I express this in terms of the unit vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_r,\mathbf{e}\phi, \mathbf{e}_\theta[/itex] ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what are the unit vectors in spherical polars in terms of Cartesian unit vectors?

[itex]\underline{e}_r = sin\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) + cos\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\theta} = cos\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) - sin\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\phi} = -sin\phi \underline{i} + cos\phi{j}[/itex]

I can't see how to write the above equation in terms of these unit vectors...

Last edited:
barnflakes said:
[itex]\underline{e}_r = sin\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) + cos\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\theta} = cos\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) - sin\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\phi} = -sin\phi \underline{i} + cos\phi{j}[/itex]

I can't see how to write the above equation in terms of these unit vectors...

You'll need to solve these 3 equations for i, j, and k. Then substitute the solutions into the equation from your previous post.

I mean really, I don't mean to sound ungrateful or anything, but how stupid do you think I am? I know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. In any event, I've solved it by myself. Note for the future: your method is slightly long winded. Thanks anyway!

What are Spherical Polar Coordinates?

Spherical Polar Coordinates are a coordinate system used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. It consists of three components: a radial distance from the origin, an angle from the polar axis, and an angle from the equatorial plane.

How are Spherical Polar Coordinates different from Cartesian Coordinates?

Spherical Polar Coordinates use a different system of measurement, with a radial distance and two angles, while Cartesian Coordinates use three linear measurements along the x, y, and z axes. Spherical Polar Coordinates are also better suited for describing objects with spherical symmetry.

What are the advantages of using Spherical Polar Coordinates?

Spherical Polar Coordinates are particularly useful in physics and engineering for describing phenomena that exhibit spherical symmetry, such as planetary motion, electromagnetic fields, and fluid dynamics. They also simplify certain mathematical calculations, such as solving Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates.

How do you convert between Spherical Polar Coordinates and Cartesian Coordinates?

To convert from Spherical Polar Coordinates to Cartesian Coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = r sin θ cos φ
y = r sin θ sin φ
z = r cos θ
Where r is the radial distance, θ is the angle from the polar axis, and φ is the angle from the equatorial plane. To convert from Cartesian Coordinates to Spherical Polar Coordinates, you can use the inverse equations.

What are some real-world applications of Spherical Polar Coordinates?

Spherical Polar Coordinates have a wide range of applications in fields such as astronomy, physics, engineering, and geosciences. They are used to describe the positions of celestial bodies, map gravitational fields, and model weather patterns, among others.