Driving Power MOSFETs with a 5V Trigger

• Thread starter GlenS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, driving power MOSFETs with a 5V trigger allows for efficient and reliable switching of high power loads. This is achieved through the use of a gate driver that amplifies and shapes the 5V trigger signal to fully turn on the MOSFET. The low voltage trigger also minimizes power loss and reduces the need for heat dissipation, making it an ideal solution for various applications in power electronics.
GlenS
Hi,

I'm new here and not sure if this is the appropriate forum for my question. I'm trying to drive a power MOSFET (2SK3746) but I'm having trouble getting it to switch 'on' consistently because my trigger is a 5V trigger from a BJT and the drain voltage is 1300V above source. To fix this I need to switch a (separate) 20V power supply to the gate of the power MOSFET using the 5V input. I know that if I try to switch the rail by adding another MOSFET in a source-follower I will get a voltage which is the drain current, id, of the switching MOSFET times the output resistance RL, which will be almost-but-not-quite my 5V input voltage.

Can anyone suggest a way I can (quickly, i.e. ns) use the 5V trigger to switch a 20V rail? Or even where I might look for such a circuit?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
So you have a p-channel MOSFET sitting at +1300V and you need to pull its gate from +1300 to +1295 to turn it on?

No, I have an N-channel, enhancement mode power MOSFET with drain at 1300V, gate at 0V and source at 0V. I need to drive the gate to 20 V (above source) as fast as possible to switch the drain to 0V. It's for a Marx bank.

Perfect, thanks very much.

You can also use a gate drive transformer. this will be of benefit in a marx circuit because you only need one driver for the transformer and the individual windings take care of both isolating each section and you do not have to worry about bootstrapping mosfet drivers.

1. How do I know if a 5V trigger is suitable for driving power MOSFETs?

To determine if a 5V trigger is suitable for driving power MOSFETs, you first need to check the datasheet of the MOSFET you are using. Look for the VGS(th) value, which is the threshold voltage for turning on the MOSFET. If the VGS(th) value is lower than 5V, then a 5V trigger can be used.

2. Can I use a 5V trigger to drive high power MOSFETs?

It depends on the specific MOSFET you are using. While a 5V trigger may be suitable for some low power MOSFETs, it may not be enough to fully turn on high power MOSFETs. It is best to check the datasheet for the VGS(th) value and consult with an expert if you are unsure.

3. What are the advantages of using a 5V trigger to drive power MOSFETs?

The main advantage of using a 5V trigger is that it requires less power to turn on the MOSFET, which can result in lower power consumption and improved efficiency. It also simplifies the circuit design as it eliminates the need for additional components to boost the trigger voltage.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a 5V trigger for driving power MOSFETs?

One potential drawback is that the MOSFET may not be fully turned on, resulting in higher losses and reduced performance. Additionally, the MOSFET may not be able to handle high currents and voltages with a 5V trigger, so it is important to carefully select the appropriate MOSFET for your application.

5. Can I use a 5V trigger to drive multiple power MOSFETs in parallel?

Yes, it is possible to use a 5V trigger to drive multiple power MOSFETs in parallel. However, it is important to ensure that the MOSFETs have similar characteristics and can handle the combined current and voltage requirements. Additionally, proper heat sinking and current sharing techniques should be implemented to prevent thermal runaway and ensure equal distribution of current among the MOSFETs.