Ensuring Continuity: Finding the Sum of a and b for a Continuous Function

In summary, to make the function h(x) = f(x)g(x) continuous for all x, the values of a and b need to be such that f(b-1) = 0 and f(b+1) = 0. This means that a+b = 6 is incorrect, and the correct values are a = 4 and b = 2.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x) = x^2 - 4x + a[/tex]
[tex]g(x) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac {2|x-b|^n + 1}{|x-b|^n + 1}[/tex]

let [tex]h(x) = f(x)g(x)[/tex]

Find the sum of a+b that makes h(x) continuous for all x.

Homework Equations

Power Series? Derivation to test continuity?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know a function is continuous if

1)f(c) exists
2)Limit as x goes to c of f(x) exists
3)#1 is equal to #2

But I don't know where to go from here. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does it fail to be continuous? f(x) is continuous for all a, but g(x) has a jump from when |x-b| < 1 (in which case g(x)=1) to when |x-b|>1 (in which case g(x)=2). So you need to figure out how to take care of it.

I understood why the discontinuity occurs, since |x-b|^n of n to the infinity could take you to 0 or a huge value (I think it was related to geometrical sum) depending on whether it's smaller than 1 or bigger than 1. I still do not have a clue how to get the specific values of a and b from it...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, for f(x)g(x) to be continuous, you know that when |x-b| isn't near 1, the function's continuous. You should realize this gives us that the only two points of concern are x=b+1 and x=b-1. You have that as x approaches b+1 and b-1 from different sides, g is either 2 or 1. So you need f(b+1) and f(b-1) to be values such that f(b-1)*2=f(b-1)*1 and f(b+1)*2=f(b+1)

Then that simply means

f(b-1) = 1
f(b+1) = 1

So we have

[tex]1 = (b-1)^2 - 4(b-1) + a[/tex]
[tex]1 = (b+1)^2 - 4(b+1) + a[/tex]

[tex]0 = (b-1)^2 - 4(b-1) - (b+1)^2 + 4(b+1)[/tex]
[tex]0 = (b-1)^2 - (b+1)^2 + 8[/tex]

[tex]b = 2[/tex]

Then,

[tex]1 = (2+1)^2 - 4(2+1) + a[/tex]
[tex]1 = 9 - 12+ a[/tex]
[tex]a = 4[/tex]

a + b = 6 is what I get, but supposedly this isn't the answer. I don't see what went wrong here, everything seems right.

[Edit]

Actually, I thought about it, but for the two distinct points of x = b-1 and x = b+1 to be continuous, shouldn't that mean that
f(b-1) = f(b+1) ?

f(b-1)=1. Then 2*f(b-1)=f(b-1) gives us 2=1. Are you sure that's the right value?

f(b-1) and f(b+1) have nothing to do with each other really (although it is correct that f(b-1)=f(b+1) is necessary, this is more by coincidence than any deep connection).

[Edit]

Oh, it's actually

f(b-1) = 0
f(b+1) = 0

Doh! Thx

1. What is continuity of a function?

Continuity of a function refers to the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In simpler terms, it means that the graph of the function has no breaks or gaps.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it is defined at every point within its domain and if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the function's value at that point. In mathematical terms, this is represented as lim f(x) = f(c), where c is the point in question.

3. Can a function be continuous at one point but not at others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at one point but not at others. This is known as point discontinuity, where the function has a break or gap at a specific point in its domain, but is otherwise continuous.

4. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, meaning that there are no breaks or gaps in its graph. Differentiability, on the other hand, refers to the ability to take the derivative of a function at a specific point within its domain.

5. How does continuity relate to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a continuous function has values of different signs at two points, then it must have at least one root (or zero) between those points. In other words, continuity guarantees that a function will take on all values between two points if it has different signs at those points.