Electrical Circuits: Recharging a Battery

In summary, the question asks what is the rate at which electrical energy is being converted into chemical energy when a battery with emf E and internal resistance r is being recharged by another emf with a current I. The equations relevant to this problem are P = EI - I^2*r and V = E - Ir. The question clarifies that the current flows in the reverse direction, from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. The answer to the question is P = EI, as the internal resistance of the first battery does not affect the power being supplied by the recharging circuit.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

Suppose that a battery of emf E and internal resistance r is being recharged: another emf sends a current I through the battery. Why rate is electrical energy being converted into chemical energy?

Homework Equations

P=EI-I^2*r
V=E-Ir

I know that since it is being recharged, the current flows in the reverse direction (positive terminal --> negative terminal), however, I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at power as the rate at which energy is transferred so that is exactly what the question is asking for. You know the voltage the current and the resistance, and you have an equation..

Since it is going in opposite direction, would it be:
P=I^2r-EI ?

Regardless of which way a current is going it's still going to dissipate energy into heat energy correct? However we're still increasing the energy of the actual battery so how can it be negative? In your equation for have for just the battery P = -EI, you're not dissipating energy from doing this you're gaining some energy!

Okay, thanks. So really, the question is only asking for the equation that is already giving me in my textbook?

It doesn't seem right for the answer to be P=EI-I^2*r

I don't get how that can be the answer when the second part of the question asks:

What is the power supplied by the recharging circuit to the battery?

Wait, I don't think the internal resistance of the first battery matters when it is being recharged, does it?

So we have a resistor then the positive terminal and then the negative terminal. This battery is then attached to another emf (it doesn't state that this battery has an internal resistance, so we assume its an ideal battery?). So wouldn't the answer simply be:

P = EI because the internal resistance on the one battery has no effect?

1. How does a battery get recharged?

Batteries get recharged by passing an electric current through them. This current causes a chemical reaction within the battery, reversing the process of discharge and restoring the battery's charge.

2. What type of charger should I use to recharge my battery?

The type of charger you should use depends on the type of battery you have. Some batteries can be charged with a standard wall outlet charger, while others may require a specialized charger. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific battery you are recharging.

3. How long does it take to fully recharge a battery?

The time it takes to fully recharge a battery varies depending on the type and size of the battery, as well as the charging method being used. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-8 hours to fully recharge a battery.

4. Can I overcharge a battery?

Yes, it is possible to overcharge a battery. Overcharging can cause damage to the battery and potentially create safety hazards. It is important to monitor the charging process and disconnect the battery once it is fully charged.

5. What happens if I use the wrong charger to recharge my battery?

Using the wrong charger to recharge a battery can result in damage to the battery or even cause it to explode. It is important to always use the correct charger for your specific battery to ensure safe and proper charging.