Air Pressure and Water Pressure

In summary: Therefore, you would add the atmospheric pressure (1.1 atm) to the gauge pressure (4.5 atm) to get 5.6 atm. Then, you would use the same equation but with the absolute pressure (5.6 atm) and solve for h. The correct answer would be 57.14 meters.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

"At the surface of a freshwater lake the air pressure is 1.1 atm. At what depth under water in the lake is the water pressure 4.5 atm?"

Homework Equations

I used the equation Pgauge = Dgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted my atm to Pascals--> (4.5)(100000) = 450000 Pa
Pguage = Dgh
Pguage = (1000)(9.8)(h)

-I used 1000, the density of water, but I'm not sure that is the right info to use for D!

Then I solved for h.

h = 450000/ (10000x9.8)
h = 45.92
I got it incorrect though. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
vrobins1 said:

Homework Statement

"At the surface of a freshwater lake the air pressure is 1.1 atm. At what depth under water in the lake is the water pressure 4.5 atm?"

Homework Equations

I used the equation Pgauge = Dgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted my atm to Pascals--> (4.5)(100000) = 450000 Pa
Pguage = Dgh
Pguage = (1000)(9.8)(h)

-I used 1000, the density of water, but I'm not sure that is the right info to use for D!

Then I solved for h.

h = 450000/ (10000x9.8)
h = 45.92
I got it incorrect though. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!
That would have been OK if the problem asked for the gauge pressure. I think it's looking for the depth at an absolute pressure of 4.5 atm, which includes the atmospheric pressure.

Your attempt at solving the problem is correct, however, there are a few errors in your calculations. Firstly, the density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, not 1000 kg. So the value for D should be 1000 kg/m^3. Secondly, when converting atm to Pa, you should multiply by 101325, not 100000. This gives a value of 454725 Pa. Finally, in your calculation for h, you have used 10000 instead of 1000, resulting in an incorrect value for h.

The correct calculation should be:

h = 454725 / (1000 x 9.8)
h = 46.41 meters

Therefore, at a depth of 46.41 meters under the surface of the freshwater lake, the water pressure would be 4.5 atm. This shows that as the depth increases, the water pressure also increases due to the weight of the water above. This is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics and is important to understand in various applications such as scuba diving, submarine operations, and even weather forecasting.

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millibars (mb).

2. How does air pressure affect weather?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. High pressure systems are associated with clear, dry weather, while low pressure systems are associated with cloudy, rainy weather. Changes in air pressure can also cause wind, storms, and other weather phenomena.

3. What causes changes in air pressure?

Air pressure can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, altitude, and the movement of air masses. Changes in these factors can cause air pressure to increase or decrease, leading to changes in weather conditions.

4. How does water pressure differ from air pressure?

Water pressure is similar to air pressure in that it is a measure of the force exerted by water molecules. However, water is denser than air, so it takes less water to create the same amount of pressure as air. Water pressure also increases with depth, while air pressure decreases with altitude.

5. How do scientists measure air and water pressure?

Scientists use instruments called barometers to measure air pressure, and devices called pressure gauges or depth sensors to measure water pressure. These instruments use different methods, such as mercury or aneroid mechanisms, to measure the force exerted by air or water molecules.