Flow in a semi circular pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating volumetric flow rate in a semi-circular pipe with a fixed pressure and the symbols used in the formula for this calculation. The question also arises about the heat transfer coefficient for convection in a semi-circular pipe. More information is needed to accurately provide a formula for this calculation.
nitinhanda
Hi All:

I am trying to calculate volumetris flow rate in a semi circular pipe with a fixed pressure but seem to have problems. I have calculated in a circular pipe as

Q= (Pi (P1-P2) R^4)/8uL

Can anyone comment on how to calculate for semi circular pipes?

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Q= (Pi (P1-P2) R^4)/8uL

First of all: always write down what the symbols mean. Now I have to guess, and that's not helping. If I make a mistake (because I use other symbols because I live on another continent perhaps) we waste time.

Assuming that
Pi = 3.14 (-)
P1 and P2 = pressure (Pa)
R = radius (meter)
u = Viscosity (Pa*s)
L = length (meter)

Then Q is the volumetric flowrate, in (m3/s), which seems correct.

The next question is: what is "semicircular"?
Does it mean that it was a round pipe (like almost all pipes) and that it's now flat on one side? Or did somebody put a bend of 180 degrees in a normal pipe?

The pressure difference in a pipe depends on the wall-roughness, bends, flowrate (turbulent or laminar flow) and type of fluid, to name a few factors.

I don't see enough information here.

I'm sorry if I just made life more difficult, but I cannot simply give you the other formula like that... because I don't know it (I'd need more info!)

Hi:

I am sorry for not being clear.

Yes you were right in assuming the symbols. The tube was circular but now its flat on one side - so you are right there also. We can assume steady state laminar flow. We are applying a constant pressure and can assume the tube to be smooth. There is no bend in the tube and we can have the answer in terms of "u - viscosity".

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks

Can Anyone please tell me what is the heat transfer coefficient for convection in a semi-circular pipe?

What is flow in a semi circular pipe?

Flow in a semi circular pipe refers to the movement of a fluid, such as water or air, through a pipe that has a semi-circular cross-section. This type of flow is common in many industrial and engineering applications.

How is flow in a semi circular pipe different from other types of flow?

The main difference between flow in a semi circular pipe and other types of flow, such as flow in a circular or rectangular pipe, is the shape of the cross-section. This can affect the velocity and pressure of the fluid flowing through the pipe.

What factors affect the flow in a semi circular pipe?

There are several factors that can affect the flow in a semi circular pipe, including the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the roughness of the pipe walls, and the flow rate of the fluid.

What is the equation for calculating flow in a semi circular pipe?

The most commonly used equation for calculating flow in a semi circular pipe is the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe, and the pressure gradient along the pipe.

What are some practical applications of studying flow in a semi circular pipe?

The study of flow in a semi circular pipe has many practical applications, including designing and optimizing the flow of fluids in pipes for various industries such as oil and gas, water supply, and HVAC systems. It is also important in understanding and mitigating issues such as turbulence and pressure drop in pipes.