Is the weak and strong force the same force?

In summary, The conversation centers around the understanding of nuclear reactions and the role of the quark-quark forces and the W- particle. The speaker questions whether the introduction of the W- particle as a "force" is truly a fundamental force or simply a convenient way to describe interactions. They speculate that the W- particle may be a result of high energy interactions, but question its instability. They also wonder if the properties of the weak interaction can be explained through the strong force instead. The other person mentions the unification of the weak and electromagnetic forces into the electroweak force and the observation of the W and Z particles. Ultimately, the conversation delves into the differences between the strong and weak forces and their relationship to each other.
per.sundqvist
Hello, I'm a novice in this field, but there is one thing I have been wondering about for a long time. Maby you could help me understand it?

I think it must be enough to only use the quark-quark forces to describe all nuclear reactions, even things like n-> p+e+v, but it is perhaps a lot more complicated. The introduction of the W- particle as the carrier of the "force" seems not to be really a first principle force.

d → u + W−
W− → e− + νe

I think, but correct me if I'm wrong, that a large energy amount could create something which looks like, or could be interpreted as a particle, the W- for instance. But if it is really a fundamental particle, why is it unstable?

Is this only all about that it is more easy to use an "artificial" force rather than attacking it from first principles by using the real strong force? Cannot the properties of the weak interaction (I googled it) be understood in some kind of quantum dynamics in terms of the strong force? I guess it is complicated, but anyway it would be more satisfactory and pure.

Thanks in advice,
Per

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the weak force is connected to the electromagnetic force -> can be unified to electroweak force.

Why is the strong force real and the weak force artificial?

Also the particles W and Z have been observed, so the SU(2) - gauge theory is rigour, both in theory and experiment.

Thank you for your question, Per. The weak and strong force are not the same force. They are two of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with the electromagnetic and gravitational forces. The strong force is responsible for holding particles together in the nucleus of an atom, while the weak force is responsible for certain types of radioactive decay.

The weak force is not a "first principle" force, as you mentioned. It is actually a result of the fundamental interactions between particles and the exchange of particles such as the W- boson. This exchange is what gives rise to the weak force.

The reason the W- boson is unstable is because it has a very short lifetime and decays into other particles. This is a result of the properties and interactions of the particles that make up the W- boson.

While it may seem more satisfying to explain the weak force in terms of the strong force, it is important to understand that each force has its own unique properties and cannot be fully explained by another force. The weak force is necessary to explain certain phenomena, such as radioactive decay, and cannot be solely described by the strong force.

I hope this helps to clarify the difference between the weak and strong forces. Keep asking questions and learning more about the fascinating world of particle physics!

1. What is the difference between the weak and strong force?

The weak and strong forces are two of the four fundamental forces in the universe. The weak force is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a role in the fusion reactions that power stars. The strong force, on the other hand, is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. It is the strongest force in nature and is essential for the stability of matter.

2. Are the weak and strong forces the same force?

No, the weak and strong forces are not the same force. They have different strengths, different ranges, and act on different particles. The strong force is about 100 times stronger than the weak force, and it only acts on particles that have a property called "color charge." The weak force, on the other hand, acts on all particles and is responsible for changing one type of particle into another.

3. Why are the weak and strong forces considered fundamental forces?

The weak and strong forces, along with the electromagnetic and gravitational forces, are considered fundamental forces because they cannot be explained by or broken down into other forces. They are the building blocks of all interactions in the universe and play a crucial role in shaping the world around us.

4. Can the weak and strong forces be unified into one force?

Currently, there is no evidence or theory to suggest that the weak and strong forces can be unified into one force. They are distinct forces with different properties and behaviors. However, some scientists are working on theories that attempt to unite all four fundamental forces, including the weak and strong forces, into one unified theory.

5. How do the weak and strong forces interact with each other?

The weak and strong forces do not directly interact with each other. However, they both play a role in nuclear reactions. The strong force holds the nucleus of an atom together, while the weak force is responsible for the transformation of one type of particle into another within the nucleus. In this way, the two forces work together to shape the structure and behavior of matter.