Angular momentum in electric field and magnetic field

In summary, there seems to be a lack of references and articles discussing the conservation of angular momentum in electric and/or magnetic fields. This is a topic that a PhD student is looking into for their research. Some suggestions have been mentioned, such as looking into the relationships between energy density, Poynting vector, and stress energy tensor. However, it is noted that angular momentum is not generally conserved in an electric field. The student is also considering using a Jackson problem as a starting point for their research.
freehuman79
I am just wondering why there are no references and articles talking about the conservation of angular momentum in electric field and/or magnetic field! does anybody has any thing to help me because am a phd student and looking for that subject for my research.
thank all

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you been looking for? It kind of sounds like you are asking about the energy density, Poynting vector, and stress energy tensor relationships.

freehuman79 said:
I am just wondering why there are no references and articles talking about the conservation of angular momentum in electric field and/or magnetic field! does anybody has any thing to help me because am a phd student and looking for that subject for my research.
thank all
Erm... angular momentum is not generally conserved in an electric field.

freehuman79 said:
thank all

There are plenty of articles...
As Peeter implied, its is quite a broad subject.

It appears from your other posts you are doing a Jackson problem to 'prove AM conservation in Electric field'.

Last edited:
actully i am working on prepaper about that subject and i found maybe jakson problem will be a good start point for me..
regards

thank you so much for your pleasent suggestion,,but unfortunatly I've already written the abstract to my proffesor! but your experiment indeed interesting.
thank you

What is angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields?

Angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields is a measure of the rotational motion of a charged particle in the presence of both an electric field and a magnetic field. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the rotational motion.

How is angular momentum affected by electric and magnetic fields?

The presence of an electric or magnetic field can cause a charged particle to experience a torque, which will change its angular momentum. The direction and magnitude of the change in angular momentum will depend on the direction and strength of the electric and magnetic fields.

What is the formula for calculating angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields?

The formula for calculating angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields is L = mvr, where L represents angular momentum, m is the mass of the particle, v is the velocity, and r is the distance between the particle and the axis of rotation.

How does angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields relate to the motion of charged particles?

Angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields is directly related to the rotational motion of charged particles. As the charged particle moves in a circular path due to the combined influence of the electric and magnetic fields, its angular momentum will change accordingly.

What are some practical applications of angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields?

Angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and MRI machines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in magnetic fields and in the development of electric motors and generators.