Dynamo, Generator, Alternator?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for generating energy to power LED lights in a juggling club. The original idea was a "shake" generator, but it was found to only generate a small amount of energy. Another idea suggested was using a fly wheel to collect the spinning energy. However, one person suggests using battery power and a spin sensor as a switch. The original poster also mentions their lack of interest in the physics involved and asks for further guidance on spin sensors.
eatingblaa
Hey, bit of an odd projection question here,
Im working on generating a current(enough to power a few leds) in a juggling club.
I was originally thinking of a "shake" generator like this <a href="http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Elec_p020.shtml" [Broken] >This</a>

With the shake generator in position along the length of the club, the magent inside the coil is stuck to the far end of the coil by centripetal force during the spin. This is the problem as it only completes maybe one or two full oscillations. (one when I catch the club, and one at start of spin) The spin is where I would hope to generate the most energy.

Another idea I was thinking of is some sort of fly wheel, to gather this spining energy.

Anyone got any comments or ideas on how to collect some of this spinning energy?
Thanks for any help you can give me

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about battery-powering the LEDs, and using a spin sensor as the switch?

Yeah I was originally thinking about just battery powering them,
it was just I am a first year civil eng student and we have a physics module this semester, and have spent the last month working on different coils, faradays and lenz laws.
Tbh its stuff I am not really interested in and was hoping a practical project would keep me interested.
maybe this is wayyyy to complicated a project tho

I will definitely look into spin sensors if I do use battery power,
care to direct me to anything?

1. What is the difference between a dynamo, generator, and alternator?

A dynamo, generator, and alternator are all devices that convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The main difference between them is the way they produce the electrical current. A dynamo uses a commutator and brushes to convert mechanical energy into direct current (DC) electricity. A generator uses slip rings and brushes to produce alternating current (AC) electricity. An alternator also produces AC electricity, but it uses a rectifier to convert it into DC electricity.

2. How do dynamos, generators, and alternators work?

All three devices work on the principle of electromagnetic induction. They use a rotating wire coil and a stationary magnet to create a magnetic field. When the coil rotates, the magnetic field induces an electric current in the wire, which is then collected by the commutator, slip rings, or rectifier to produce electricity.

3. What are the uses of dynamos, generators, and alternators?

Dynamos, generators, and alternators are used in various applications, including power generation, automobiles, and hand-cranked devices such as flashlights. They are also used in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants.

4. How do dynamos, generators, and alternators differ in terms of efficiency?

Dynamos and generators have a lower efficiency compared to alternators. This is because they produce DC electricity, which is less efficient for long-distance transmission. Alternators, on the other hand, produce AC electricity, which can be easily converted to higher voltages for efficient transmission over long distances.

5. Can dynamos, generators, and alternators be used interchangeably?

In most cases, dynamos, generators, and alternators cannot be used interchangeably. This is because they have different electrical outputs and require different components for operation. However, some modern alternators can be used as generators by changing the wiring and adding a voltage regulator.