Reference Material Needed for Essay on Radioactive Decay

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding reference materials for an essay on radioactive decay and its applications. Suggestions are made for topics such as the equivalence of mass and energy, different types of decay (alpha, beta, gamma), nuclear power, medical physics, and carbon dating. It is recommended to consult a physics book for information on these topics.
knowlewj01
I have an essay on radioactive decay, here is the title 'Explore the nature of radioactive decay and Discuss it's applications'

Does anyone know any good reference material for this kind of thing?
Equivilence of mass and energy
Alpha, Beta, Gamma
Nuclear power
Med Physics
Carbon Dating
Any other Applications

Any Help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a book recommended for your course? That would be my first port of call.

nah, it's not actually for a physics course, i made the question myself. its for a module of my science access course called 'study skills' where i have to do a 3k word essay so there's no reading list unfortunatly :(

Well in that case may I suggest looking for a physics book. Most high school level books should have information on all the points you mentioned. There should be plenty available in local or school libraries.

ok cool, thanks :)

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy and transforms into a more stable form. This can occur through the emission of particles or energy, such as alpha or beta particles, or through spontaneous fission.

2. What are some common elements that undergo radioactive decay?

Some common elements that undergo radioactive decay include uranium, thorium, and potassium. These elements have unstable nuclei and are known as radioactive isotopes.

3. How is the rate of radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured by the half-life, which is the time it takes for half of the original sample of a radioactive isotope to decay. This can vary greatly for different isotopes, ranging from fractions of a second to billions of years.

4. What is the importance of understanding radioactive decay?

Understanding radioactive decay is important in various fields, such as nuclear physics, geology, and medicine. It allows us to determine the age of rocks, study the behavior of radioactive elements, and use radioactive isotopes in medical treatments and imaging.

5. What are some potential dangers of radioactive decay?

The main danger of radioactive decay is exposure to harmful radiation, which can damage cells and lead to health problems such as cancer. It is important to handle radioactive materials safely and to properly dispose of them to minimize the risks of exposure.